Mosaic Trademark

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
LoudNoise

Mosaic Trademark

Post by LoudNoise »

I have been following a thread in the SeaMonkey forums and, being curious, looked up something.

Interesting bit of trivia:
Mosaic was a registered trademark of the University of Illinois and transferred to the National Center for Supercomputing Applications. It was CANCELLED in 2007, apparently due to section eight of the United States Trademark and Copyright code. This does not seem to make much sense, I would suspect it wasn't renewed.

https://trademarks.justia.com/745/88/nc ... 88748.html
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
patrickjdempsey

Re: Mosaic Trademark

Post by patrickjdempsey »

"CANCELLED SEC. 8 (6-YR) "

Looks like it was cancelled for failure to renew the registration after 6 years. The last version of Mosaic came out in 1997 and while I think the source code was still being licensed by Microsoft at that time for IE, almost nobody ran Mosaic 3.0. It was already a dead product by then. One of the reasons people stopped using Mosaic is because they stopped adding web features. It never supported CSS or ECMA Script (both from 1996), and even though the 3.0 version came out in 1997 it actually didn't have a single new rendering feature over the 2.0 release from 1995, it was just a UI update, and not a great one. So while IE and Netscape were in the middle of a crazy feature war, Mosaic was still frozen feature-wise in 1995, and really it felt more like 1994. It's no wonder nobody bothered to renew the trademark registration!
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Which reminds me... who wants to help me start a "new" browser called Mosaic with simple UI buttons, and all UI panels in sidebars?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Netscape was frozen feature-wise simply because the point was to sell Netscape's web server which had all sorts of neat stuff that no one else could match. When AOL released Netscape to open source it rather specificity didn't release anything that had to do with the web server. That didn't work out well.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Patrick - I'll help, can we have little fishes and some nasturtium buds as icons?
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you