MozillaZine

Skylake users given 18 months to upgrade to Windows 10

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
James

Post Posted January 18th, 2016, 10:06 pm

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/01/skylake-users-given-18-months-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/
And next generation processors, including Intel's Kaby Lake, won't be supported in old Windows.

Skylake refers to the codename used by Intel for the recent 6th generation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylake_(microarchitecture)

LoudNoise

Post Posted January 18th, 2016, 10:41 pm

Which is bullshit on MS's part. Neither Intel nor Microsoft are willing to lose the business market. I would suspect that there are already web sites to tell folks who buy $200.00 Dells how to beat this.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Grumpus

Post Posted January 19th, 2016, 5:37 am

There's been a several related articles on the Skylake processors and I'm not impressed with what I've read, but I'm old and easily confused.
I saw the referred conditions in articles on both ARS and the Register and believe there is a compatibility issue but it lay with Microsoft code more than IBM.
It certainly seems to be an accomodation for MS over other considerations and the users.

This may also become an issue for Linux users, though a Microsoft publicized issue, possibly blocked out of the use of the processor due to the MS leanings.
But this is just supposition IMO.
Cashless society sacrifices independence, privacy and lastly liberty, encouraged by ignorance and villainy.

Omega X

Post Posted January 21st, 2016, 1:54 pm

Grumpus wrote:There's been a several related articles on the Skylake processors and I'm not impressed with what I've read, but I'm old and easily confused.

No, you're right. Skylake processors are barely better than previous generations. Intel hasn't made real advancements in a long time. And then this family of CPUs have a logic bug on the silicon that causes a crash.

Until AMD shows up with Zen to remind them to progress, this is all they got.
Latest: Firefox/74.0 *ESR/68.6.0 - Mobile/68.6.0 - Thunderbird/68.6.0
Nightly: Nightly/76.0a1 - Mobile/GV 76.0a1 - Daily/76.0a1

Mouse5

Post Posted January 21st, 2016, 3:02 pm

Grumpus wrote:There's been a several related articles on the Skylake processors and I'm not impressed with what I've read, but I'm old and easily confused.
I saw the referred conditions in articles on both ARS and the Register and believe there is a compatibility issue but it lay with Microsoft code more than IBM.
It certainly seems to be an accomodation for MS over other considerations and the users.

This may also become an issue for Linux users, though a Microsoft publicized issue, possibly blocked out of the use of the processor due to the MS leanings.
But this is just supposition IMO.

AFAIK, in Linux if your using the Skylake Processor, the only kernel that will work is the 4.3 Kernel an up

Grumpus

Post Posted January 22nd, 2016, 6:48 am

@Omega - it just seems to me to be the same old "hardware faster - software faster" merry-go-round, you'd think they were architects and builders running a 3 year loop.
@-Arch- Pretty much what I was thinking as it seems a change in a basic process', seems to be a lot of that going around.
Cashless society sacrifices independence, privacy and lastly liberty, encouraged by ignorance and villainy.

Frenzie

Post Posted January 26th, 2016, 2:42 am

-Arch- wrote:AFAIK, in Linux if your using the Skylake Processor, the only kernel that will work is the 4.3 Kernel an up

Well sure, the only kernel that will fully support all of the Skylake features with the best performance (like the integrated GPU and advanced power management) will be one that's sufficiently recent, but it wouldn't surprise me if you got a perfectly workable desktop booting from some 2010 LiveCD. And provided your motherboard supports BIOS, you'll be able to run e.g. DOS and Windows 3 just fine as well. ;)
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.

Return to MozillaZine Tech