Brendan Eich claims to "fix" the web with an ad browser

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
lovemyfoxy

Re: Brendan Eich claims to "fix" the web with an ad browser

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I'd never seen that before. Thanks.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Wonder if Arthur ever thought about security?
Were people as skeptical about Firefox when it first came about, I only go back to version .9?
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Grumpus wrote: Were people as skeptical about Firefox when it first came about, I only go back to version .9?
I wasn't. I had recently joined a computer club, and we were advised by one instructor, "Using IE is like running your electric toothbrush and your circular saw on the same wire," and he gave us reasons. I switched to Netscape, never looked back, and at some point slid easily into FF, I think when they stopped developing Netscape (Was it after 7.2?)

You would have to set up a huge survey to measure skepticism among users.

Would you try out Brave on a spare computer, maybe sandboxed?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I wasn't either and that was back at 0.6.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@LoveMyFoxy - I don't see any reason not to try it but would like to see a bit more of it first.
It's coming up on time to change one OS and add another for testing so it might be worthwhile to place it on one of those to see what happens.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

This is taking user profiling to the "next level".
The idea has possibly its merits, as you will be seeing (if it works) only stuff of interest to you instead of the usual massive amount of nonsense and gross advertising - but still, that's the cogent definition of user tracking and profiling.

Maybe those Collusion/Lightbeam experiments have paid off somehow (and Directory tiles as well), as built-in systems to gather data "locally" and learn about user preferences.

Being built as it is on Chromium, I would call this experiment a tuned-up Chromium - in every way, especially as far as tracking goes.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It seems to be a trend to control content these days not only with browsers but in general the ISPs seem to need this for revenue and bandwidth control.
I dislike "suggestions" if they have a mercantile intent laying in the background and it shows a questionable marketing intent which defeats the educational and research concepts of the Internet. If this is completely user controlled and not a simulation of user control as masked marketing and content manipulation it may very well be a help as some of the detritus when searching might be dumped although sometimes the detritus triggers the thought processes.
KilliK

Post by KilliK »

Clarke did foresee a phone with a screen that could communicate over long distances. But I find it amazing that in countless books and films in the 100 or so years before 1990, no one predicted the WWW.
Mark Twain, Jules Verne and HG Wells predicted the internet or at least a form of it.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

And Isaac Asimov. I guess LoveMyFoxy is not as wide read as he thinks
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

...and Pliny the Elder.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
KilliK

Post by KilliK »

William Gibson with his Neuromancer in 1984. Internet was in its infancy and WWW was developed 5 years later.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Y'all left out John Dee.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Not really much imagination or prediction skills required to see the theoretical uses of something that had already been done as a working proof of concept in 1816 by the electrostatic telegraph, i.e. is it possible to send digital signals from one place to another, in that case 8 miles away, and they wouldn't be total gibberish at the other end? Yes, it was.

Every time you watch a Western film and see the guy going into the telegraph office and the wizened old guy, with the sun shade over his eyes, tapping out the Morse code messages, you are seeing the birth of the Internet. Not much imagination required to see that if you could, at some point in the future, replace those old telegraph guys with machines then those machines could communicate with each other. Later came the fax machine, etc.

Really, the only limiting of actuality is not one of invention, but one of need, demand and profit. For example, in the 1950's why were there so few telephones in private houses, because there wasn't the technology? No, there wasn't the need. Seems odd to us now, but as recently as the 1930's many people didn't even see the need even for electricity in their homes and electric companies were paying for radio ads in the USA to convince people they should have it.

Later came the computer and later still, in the late 1960's and after, came interconnected computers. After that, all that was required was confirmation that there was need/demand/profit in the concept of computers in the homes of the general public. This was done by Sinclair and others and from that point on the reality of the Internet was not so much an invention, but an inevitability.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

How did them folks without electricity hear the electric company ads on the radio?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
trolly

Post by trolly »

I guess the fridge was a major argument to get electricity. ;-)
The only need required to transform the telegraph into the internet was the need to talk to someone else.
And there are earlier nets available: silk road, tribe gatherings, markets and fairs etc. They are all used to pass information. The only thing changed is the speed and amount to exchange.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.