Brendan Eich claims to "fix" the web with an ad browser

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Omega X

Brendan Eich claims to "fix" the web with an ad browser

Post by Omega X »

https://www.brave.com/

It replaces ads with their own. Can't make this stuff up if you tried.
DanRaisch

Re: Brendan Eich claims to "fix" the web with an ad browser

Post by DanRaisch »

Guess they'll call that an "ad rich environment."
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Wasn't some company recently shut down for doing exactly that? Got sued by the advertisers as I recall.

So it replaces ads using a built-in tracking mechanism. It allows you to pay to completely remove ads. And it incorporates HTTPS Everywhere so you'll be guaranteed to run into really nasty site compatibility issues like we regularly see here from users of that extension. Good luck with all of that Brendan.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

patrickjdempsey wrote: Good luck with all of that Brendan.
Didn't Brendan get married to the Co-founder or was that just a rumour?

Either way, you seen the state of the first two Senior Software Engineers there? No way am I using anything made by Bluto from Popeye and 'Too beaucoup' from Full Metal Jacket! That's my incisive technical appraisal on this project anyway.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
mod_wastrel

Post by mod_wastrel »

"Ad-supported" isn't just a problem with the web. It's the problem with just about everything--"get someone else to pay for it... it'll all work out." (Look no further than your TV to see how wonderful it all is [not].)

You get what you pay for.

:D
;) mozillaZine is not Mozilla; just as Godzilla is not God. Neither is Mozilla God... they just think they are (what's that about:mozilla?).
Hey, Mozilla... are you sure you wish to do this? (bug 1121291)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Marshall Rose already looks overworked :).

That is certainly one of the more novel examples of Agency Theory I have heard. While me and Firefox have had our problems, it being motivated to act in its own best interests rather than mine hasn't be one of them. That said, it does raise an interesting question: What was the default browser on the HAL 9000? Hnternet Dxplorer?

It is hard to see how this benefits anyone but Brave. Do the sites get any of the money that Brave produces from the ads they server?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
mod_wastrel

Post by mod_wastrel »

Hmmm, an Internet Explorer in 1968? ...an Internet at all? Well, while some of the lyrics by the Moody Blues do suggest something like an Internet around that time, I'm not sure Arthur C. Clarke was quite that visionary was he? I've only read some of his stuff, and not lately. Maybe Brave New World by Huxley?
;) mozillaZine is not Mozilla; just as Godzilla is not God. Neither is Mozilla God... they just think they are (what's that about:mozilla?).
Hey, Mozilla... are you sure you wish to do this? (bug 1121291)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Brendan could not do that unless he gets a much better barber.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

LoudNoise wrote:Marshall Rose already looks overworked :).
Congratulations, you found the guy who actually loses sleep trying to make this silly project work while the rest of this buzzing hive hurl ideas at him and he has to keep half-smiling at them like children.
LoudNoise wrote:It is hard to see how this benefits anyone but Brave. Do the sites get any of the money that Brave produces from the ads they server?
I was wondering if the poor ad-supported websites they are so nobly fighting for receive any of the pay-off money to not see ads. Seems like if that was the case it would be proudly mentioned, if not be the centerpiece of the argument instead of the whole pay-off thing just being a thrown in there as if it was a last-minute addendum and not the core of the whole platform.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

There was somewhat of an explanation in the Register on how the money will work this morning Brave ad-blocking browser
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Any way you slice it this is a really weird concept.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Thinking it to the end the customer decides which ads he want to get. Which is not much different from the user specific ads google delivers. So just the "content provider" changes.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

trolly wrote:Thinking it to the end the customer decides which ads he want to get. Which is not much different from the user specific ads google delivers. So just the "content provider" changes.
Yep, I'm sure that there is a point to this browser, it's just that I haven't figured out what that point is yet.

I'd ask Marshall, but the guy looks like he has enough on his plate already. :shock:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

mod_wastrel wrote:Hmmm, an Internet Explorer in 1968? ...an Internet at all? Well, while some of the lyrics by the Moody Blues do suggest something like an Internet around that time, I'm not sure Arthur C. Clarke was quite that visionary was he? I've only read some of his stuff, and not lately. Maybe Brave New World by Huxley?
Clarke did foresee a phone with a screen that could communicate over long distances. But I find it amazing that in countless books and films in the 100 or so years before 1990, no one predicted the WWW.

You guys have saved me from a worthless experiment. I was ready to try it on my secondary computer.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Clarke did foresee a phone with a screen that could communicate over long distances. But I find it amazing that in countless books and films in the 100 or so years before 1990, no one predicted the WWW.
I find a lot of things pretty amazing, especially about people around here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTdWQAKzESA