Screen shots of menus

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
LoudNoise

Screen shots of menus

Post by LoudNoise »

For reasons known only to Mozilla , I now have two blank lines in all context menus when Scriptish is activated. That isn't a big deal since the problem is likely be to solved shortly and it only affects two sites I use.

However, does anyone know how to take screen shots of context menus? When I tried by hitting Print Screen/Sys Request the menu disappeared and I was left with no image at all.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
barbaz

Re: Screen shots of menus

Post by barbaz »

You could take a screencast and then grab the individual frame(s) you want using something like ffmpeg?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

i could also take a picture with my phone.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
truffle

Post by truffle »

LoudNoise wrote:When I tried by hitting Print Screen/Sys Request the menu disappeared and I was left with no image at all.
Have you tried taking a screenshot with a delay?

I see you're on Ubuntu so I figure you might have scrot:

Code: Select all

scrot -d 5 screenshot.png
You adjust the delay to the time you need to "set the scene" and you're good to go.

Bye
A signature block (often abbreviated as signature, sig block, sig file, .sig, dot sig, siggy, or just sig) is a block of text automatically appended at the bottom of an e-mail message, Usenet article, or forum post.
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

Different flavors may have different screenshot programs but all of them should have the delay option. Very handy.

FWIW, http://askubuntu.com/questions/252281/h ... th-a-delay
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I didn't know about that. Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Post wrangler
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

You should have the gnome-screen shot or a similar screen shot utility as a default install.
If you have the Unity desktop hit the second icon on the bottom when you open it and look for the utility in the list of packages installed, should be in alphabetical order.
If not it's in the repositories.
However, the problem could be unsupported fonts or characters in the theme, if there were items in the extra spaces.
Could also be a metrics issue even though you're not using MS if it's adding the extra spaces, theme maybe picking up an empty space and creating a line. May also be a coding issue between Western and Unicode.
Just guessing.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

You spend a good deal of time worrying over things Grump.
Post wrangler
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It's part of the madness. ;)
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
TheJBW

Post by TheJBW »

Can confirm, I've seen the same problem suddenly crop up. My scriptish seems to be outright broken now, frankly.

http://puu.sh/n93V1/4fadb838f6.png
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

If you have MS Office, if OneNote is set to start with Windows (that purple N in the system tray), you can set it to take a screenshot by taking Windows key+S (for later versions of office, it moved to Windows key + Shift+ S). I just did it on this thread, and when it took the screenshot, I was still able to see the context menu.

If you don't have that, I'd try Fasttone's screenshot capture utility (shareware, but they have older versions that are freeware). Perhaps they have a keyboard shortcut that will enable this function, while still keeping your context menu.

EDIT: Oh wait, logged in and saw you are not on Windows. Oh well.
Paul
Fadi Mansour

Post by Fadi Mansour »

I'm having the same issue with Scriptish for a while now, and just as in the first post, I assumed that it was something transitory and would be fixed.

But I'm still having this issue after several months.

This is also affecting the button as seen below:

Was the cause known? Is there a fix?

Thanks
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

The Win 7 Snipping Tool is capable of taking screen shots of 'drop down' menus....

http://www.owenwebs.com/2009/08/27/use- ... ure-menus/

WFM

@On Linux..Shutter.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Fadi Mansour

Post by Fadi Mansour »

Hmm, thanks barbaz