Adblock Plus deemed legal for the 5th time in German court

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Omega X

Adblock Plus deemed legal for the 5th time in German court

Post by Omega X »

http://arstechnica.co.uk/business/2016/ ... man-court/

They keep trying and the court keeps slapping them down.
JayhawksRock

Re: Adblock Plus deemed legal for the 5th time in German cou

Post by JayhawksRock »

Servers and/or hosting are not free... I would fire all of the employees and shut down the website if I could not sell ads ...
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Compuitguy

Post by Compuitguy »

8-) 8-)

Thanks
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

JayhawksRock wrote:Servers and/or hosting are not free... I would fire all of the employees and shut down the website if I could not sell ads ...
Would you do the same if you couldn't sell 2.4% of the ads?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14492507

Servers and/or hosting may not be free (well, in my case it is) but it is also extremely inexpensive, as in, really inexpensive.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

JayhawksRock wrote:Servers and/or hosting are not free... I would fire all of the employees and shut down the website if I could not sell ads ...
No one said that you can't. #-o

Now the German court only need to deal with free speech (Jan Böhmermann and politic critique & satire issue etc.), oh this "progressive" West ;)
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Grumpus wrote:In the Register this morning it may be illegal to block people using add blockers
Now extremism on the other side... ](*,)
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:
Grumpus wrote:In the Register this morning it may be illegal to block people using add blockers
Now extremism on the other side... ](*,)
Going through the motions is unavoidable. Ad companies are not budging on the issue, causing everyone to react.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Easiest solution would be for the marketing and advertising companies to clean up their act.
Remove the obnoxious and bandwidth stealing detritus from their ads.
Some of the objection to advertising could also be from the point of view,"I already paid for access, why do I have to put up with ads?"
One of the major gripes with high cable fees for basic.
Of course this could inflate access fees astronomically, which may be the end goal anyway if eventually ad blockers are maintained and sites have to stop blocking access.
However it might just force force membership and possibly subscription fees across the web globally, backhand content control?
Gives the villains a platform for discussion of extreme fee raises which more than likely would wind up in corporate officers and marketers pockets and not improve net infrastructure.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Grumpus wrote:Easiest solution would be for the marketing and advertising companies to clean up their act.
Well, the easiest solution is actually for them all to jump off a multi-story or something.

Fact is, the Internet is grossly over-saturated with websites all writing exactly the same stuff anyway. I mean over-saturated by a hundred fold and 90% of the websites on it could pack up tomorrow and no one would care for more than a day.

As you may gather, I'm not a great fan of adverts and UK culturally has never bombarded people with ads constantly. Even our commercial radio, like Classic FM, only does 1 advert every 20 minutes or so.

So, where does that leave the marketing and advertising companies? Who cares, no one owes anyone a living. Go do a proper job with some honour attached to it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

How I laughed :D
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

So did I when I approved his post. ;-)
tsor

Re: Blocking the Ads seems to be legal in Germany

Post by tsor »

And here comes No. 6, Court in Stuttgart about advertisement displayed on Newspaper sites accessed over Safari Browser blocked by an App [not Adblock plus] for 99 Euro cents and more than 42.000 downloads. Sorry only in German. Here is the press release from the court:
http://www.olg-stuttgart.de/pb/,Lde/Sta ... GE=1178276
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Still won't win. Even if the ad blocker charges 99 Euro cents.
tsor

Post by tsor »

Here is no. 7. This time Hamburg. Sorry German only. http://www.lto.de/recht/nachrichten/n/l ... erfolglos/

Anyway with the info that in Cologne a court ruled that ABP is legal, but should there be any payment for a 'Whitelist' that contains pre arrangend criteria that was paid for by an advertiser ... then ABP is in trouble. At least in Germany.

That gives the 'you pay us [ABP] money and we let your ads pass' not a thumbs up.