Vivaldi 1.0 Released

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Kevin McFarlane

Vivaldi 1.0 Released

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

See here.

I've been giving it a spin today. It won't be my default but nice to have options.
Omega X

Re: Vivaldi 1.0 Released

Post by Omega X »

Its YABB(Yet Another Blink Browser). Its the same option with a new skin.
Kevin McFarlane

No, it's not. Have you looked at the reviews? It's essentially a souped-up version of the old Opera but using the Blink engine. So it's aimed at old Opera (12.x) users who don't like the stripped-down Opera 15+ versions and people who want more customisability.

For most users this doesn't matter, but there's a niche.

So far it has a few usability niggles for me but it's not too bad as a 1.0. However, Firefox will remain my default. I have Opera and Chrome installed as well. I sometimes use Opera as a "better Chrome" in fact, as it has a bit better usability (for me).
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Ahh, its the same option with an old skin. ;)

I have it installed after one of the slowest downloads of a browser ever. It even uses Chrome's extension store. From what I can tell, it is definitely Chromium based. I'm not knocking it for being true Oprah reborn. If it can shave a few percentage points from Google, the better. But I suppose with this level of customization, its going to hurt Firefox more.
Kevin McFarlane

Mine downloaded fine. Didn't notice any speed slowness.

Re: hurting Firefox, the old Opera had similar customisability but it still sat at < 2% market share. Tbh, for me, all current browsers have a long way to go to make me jettison Firefox as default, despite my having "issues" with Firefox. But I do use alternatives in specific contexts.
Frenzie

Post by Frenzie »

Omega X wrote:Its YABB(Yet Another Blink Browser). Its the same option with a new skin.
Perhaps, but e.g. Opera/Blink and Vivaldi are definitely nicer to have around as a Blink browser than Chromium itself. And let's face it, even though Vivaldi has several issues to work out before I'd even vaguely consider using it as my main, it's the only Blink browser that seems to be interested in competing for the spot at all.
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.
Davebuntu

Post by Davebuntu »

I used a couple of the old alpha versions on Linux. I'd rather use Chromium than Vivaldi on Linux if I'm going to use Blink. I can't see the point of Vivaldi on Windows. Although, unlike Avast's SafeZone browser, at least Vivaldi isn't a Blink/Opera clone.
No Signature
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I found this interesting. The former Oprah dev did an AMA on Reddit. Someone mentioned that the interface was written in Javascript. He mentioned that there were no plans to replace it with another language.
Kevin McFarlane

Frenzie wrote:
Omega X wrote:Its YABB(Yet Another Blink Browser). Its the same option with a new skin.
Perhaps, but e.g. Opera/Blink and Vivaldi are definitely nicer to have around as a Blink browser than Chromium itself. And let's face it, even though Vivaldi has several issues to work out before I'd even vaguely consider using it as my main, it's the only Blink browser that seems to be interested in competing for the spot at all.
I actually tend to use Opera now as an alternative to Chrome because it has a bit better usability for me. E.g., browsing in most recently used order, keyboard shortcut for paste and go... I only recently found an extension for the latter in Firefox after a very old one was unsupported from yonks ago.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

FWIW the latest Snapshot version now has a way to create Themes, I reckon someone really thought this out well, a few minutes and mine looks very Night Launchy.
@I'm not saying it's in any way comparable to some Fx Full Themes, we're talking 'flat colors' here, but heck, it's actually fun to play with and as a work in progress, works pretty good.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

They need to fix their junk Cookie Manager. That's the only thing that keeps me from touching it more often.