oxygen-gtk GTK3 theme not fully applying in Lubuntu 14.04?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
barbaz

oxygen-gtk GTK3 theme not fully applying in Lubuntu 14.04?

Post by barbaz »

Trying to change the GTK3 theme to Oxygen (while leaving the GTK2 theme alone) but on some widgets I'm getting an eyesore "fusion" of oxygen-gtk and the default GTK3 theme. One of the most prominent issues is the menu items: they all have this weird padding, and on mouse over, menu item initially looks kind of like this (hard to time the screenshot just right), then fades to this. Text boxes also look like a weird "fusion" of default theme and oxygen-gtk.

Why is that happening and how to get "pure" oxygen-gtk GTK3 theme?

(I'm changing the theme by symlinking /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-3.0/* to ~/.config/gtk-3.0)
Grumpus

Re: oxygen-gtk GTK3 theme not fully applying in Lubuntu 14.0

Post by Grumpus »

You probably need to install the GTK-oxygen engine along with the icon theme.
There should be two in the repository for Lubuntu, one is for i386 the other for x86_64.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I have installed

Code: Select all

gtk2-engines-oxygen:i386        1.4.5-0ubuntu1
gtk3-engines-oxygen:amd64       1.3.5-0ubuntu1
kde-style-oxygen        4:4.11.11-0ubuntu0.2
oxygen-icon-theme       4:4.13.0-0ubuntu1
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Actually, that got me on the right track. Thank you for your help Grumpus, problem solved :D

Apparently this was caused by two issues. First issue is that I needed BOTH i386 AND amd64 theme engines, for both GTK2 and GTK3. Second issue is that changing GTK theme in LXDE is *not* done in that hackish way of symlinking things. It needs to be done by editing ~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf
Set the sNet/ThemeName under GTK section to oxygen-gtk, like so:

Code: Select all

[GTK]
sNet/ThemeName=oxygen-gtk
Log out and log back in, now both GTK2 and GTK3 themes are oxygen-gtk... not bad but not quite what I was looking for. Although icon theme is now necessarily Oxygen (trying to change it won't work), GTK2 appearance theme can be changed with gtk-chtheme.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Sometimes KDE and GTK appear to be at cross purpose.
You may need more support from a KDE support package to make it all work.
I run into this when running some KDE programs on a GTK system which make calls to an entire list of KDE support software.
Look at both dependents and dependencies (use Synaptic), it's probably something simple.
I run Oxygen on a KDE platform under Fedora and sometimes downloaded and installed GTK software won't detail completely.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you