Win7 pinned icons on Task Bar

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
dfoulkes

Win7 pinned icons on Task Bar

Post by dfoulkes »

So... this is how it worked up until a couple of months ago...

I have two Firefox shortcuts on my Desktop. My main profile shortcut was set up as a pinned icon on the Task bar. The other profile shortcut (with the proper structure within its shortcut properties for running it at the same time as my main profile) as not pinned to the Task Bar. It all worked well... I'd click on the pinned icon and Firefox would start up and all tabs related to that icon would be 'nested' together with the tab preview function ... and 'if' I needed to start up the other profile it's icon would end up on the RHS of all my other pinned icons and it too would have its tabs functioning the same way as my pinned profile.

When all of this was working fine I could right click on the desktop icon to check its properties and it would show 'unpin from taskbar' while the other non-pinned icon would show 'pin to taskbar' ... in other words, they were acting like diff. icons for diff. process. as I intended it to do. And BTW ... my default profile shortcut name is Mozilla Firefox and my other one is named FIREFOX_TEST.

Then, and it was probably after some Win7 update, something changed.

If I right click on either shortcut they both have 'unpin from taskbar' even though they are diff shortcuts ... though they are both to Firefox. And if I unpin the FIREFOX_TEST shortcut it also unpins the other one.

Also, it used to be that if I right-clicked on my main pinned icon (while it was running) its name would be Mozilla Firefox and if I did the same for a running icon for that other shortcut it would display its name properly as the TEST profile ... plus, right now if I right-click on the TEST icon (running) it will display the 'frequent' history of what I have for my main profile while it's running. In other words... I right-click on my main profile icon and it has the exact same things in that TEST icon...

These are not acting like separate process even though they show as diff. processes in the Task Manager.

I'll assume that this is a Win7 issue and not a Firefox issue... Thoughts anyone? ... and I've searched the NET for some info but nothing I found matches what is going on here.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LIMPET235

Re: Win7 pinned icons on Task Bar

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi df,
Not too sure that I can help but...
after the last Windows update, I found that my Folder Options had all been reset to default
& I could not see my "Hidden" files & that the "Hide extensions for known file types" had been checked. [ √ ]
This is the first one that I always UN-check. (Stupid MS entry.)
-------------------------------------------------------
Maybe a System Restore will help?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
jefboyardee

Re: Win7 pinned icons on Task Bar

Post by jefboyardee »

I have to reload the FF taskbar almost every time it updates.