Linux versions?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
frg

Linux versions?

Post by frg »

>> It's easier on Linux

I disagree. I just setup a build evoironment under Debian x64 and it s*cked compared to Windows. Still not able to do x86. Should probably have choosen centOS.
rsx11m

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by rsx11m »

Interesting, no problems on OpenSUSE 13.2 (I've never used the Debian/Ubuntu distros for development).
I'm staying away from the new "Leap" branch until it's more mature.

Edit: Looking at the tinderbox build logs, CentOS 6.x should still work (though 7.2 is out).
frg

Post by frg »

>> Interesting, no problems on OpenSUSE 13.2 (I've never used the Debian/Ubuntu distros for development).

Had too many problems with latest openSUSE build and wanted something else. With disconnected Network Boot would just stop because Networkmanager wouldn't time out and so on... Used it since 6.0 or 7.0 but the last releases were a little too unsable for me.
Last edited by frg on July 12th, 2016, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

rsx11m wrote:Edit: Looking at the tinderbox build logs, CentOS 6.x should still work (though 7.2 is out).
Last I checked, CentOS 6.x only works for me if disable gtk3 in the build.
(I've found Scientific Linux 7 to be much "friendlier" than CentOS 7.)
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

rsx11m wrote:Interesting, no problems on OpenSUSE 13.2 (I've never used the Debian/Ubuntu distros for development).
I'm staying away from the new "Leap" branch until it's more mature.

Edit: Looking at the tinderbox build logs, CentOS 6.x should still work (though 7.2 is out).
I'm on Leap 42.1 and reasonably happy with it. IMHO much more "mature" than when they made systemd the default (instead of Sys V init) a few versions ago. When I find bugs I report them to bugzilla.opensuse.org, but found only 2 minor ones so far in Leap 42.1, namely one missing -32bit package in a "test" update and a minor documentation bug in zypper.

You may want to wait for Leap 42.2 which is foreseen for begin November, see https://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap#Upcoming_openSUSE_Leap_Release.
Best regards,
Tony
frg

Post by frg »

Maybe a mod should split the last few remarks from us off to another thread. It's interesting but way off topic right now.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

frg wrote:Maybe a mod should split the last few remarks from us off to another thread. It's interesting but way off topic right now.
Done.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Ah, here we went. ;-) For people missing the context, this was coming from http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &start=150
barbaz wrote:Last I checked, CentOS 6.x only works for me if disable gtk3 in the build.
Yeah, gtk3 has only been recently introduced. The nightlies won't run on SLES 11 either.
tonymec wrote:I'm on Leap 42.1 and reasonably happy with it. IMHO much more "mature" than when they made systemd the default (instead of Sys V init) a few versions ago.
Good to know. Yes, systemd was quite a change, and other than booting up a bit faster I can't really see an advantage, but that's "progress." I'm waiting for 42.2 to come out and will see then.
earther

Re: Linux versions?

Post by earther »

Have you tried DEVUAN? A return to sanity . . .
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

I've compiled a few small programs (utilities) on Linux Mint, Ubuntu and Fedora. (all 64bit)
Compilers worked and finished product remained stable until substitute providing function(s) added by maintainers or those who provided some guidance.
OpenSUSE was the only package where there was no success.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Zeokat

Post by Zeokat »

I love Ubuntu and all the family depending on the available resources.

I´m sure that Linux things are complex at start but easier when you get a little practice. Ubuntu is a nice choice for starters becasue exists a lot of tutorials.
When tecnlogy meets dreams