Good-bye Opera aka: Oprah

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
TheVisitor

Good-bye Opera aka: Oprah

Post by TheVisitor »

http://www.neowin.net/news/opera-to-sel ... 00-million ?

Never used it, so no idea what it was/is other than another browser.
the-edmeister

Re: Good-bye Opera aka: Oprah

Post by the-edmeister »

I used Opera over the years when it was still using Presto, but lost interest when it went with WebKit / Blink a few years ago.

And the strange thing is that had Opera been free in 2002 when was looking to get away from IE6, instead of "ad supported" with a advertising bar below the Navigation toolbar where the Firefox bookmarks bar resides, I might never have spent the time becoming acquainted with Phoenix and would have never become a part of mozillaZine. I forget what Opera cost for the non-ad supported version, but "free" without ads was why I went with Phoenix in the beginning and didn't stay with Opera.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

I forget what Opera cost for the non-ad supported version....
$39.00
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

the-edmeister wrote:I used Opera over the years when it was still using Presto, but lost interest when it went with WebKit / Blink a few years ago.
I've used Opera since those ad-supported days, always as an alternative browser. I've always only ever used it sparingly for one reason or another, although it has been interesting to observe its innovations over the years and then see them implemented in other browsers. :)

The manner of their switch from Presto to Blink was cack-handed IMO and pissed off lots of their loyal customers. It's one reason why the Vivaldi browser has now appeared.

However, recently I've started using Opera more than I used to, as a "better Chrome." I find it has better usability than Chrome and also they've been adding in some handy features recently, e.g., the pop-out video.

It's come on a bit since the initial Blink version 15, although I'm sure it's still missing a lot of features that the "power" users used. But I was never one of those, so now it's good enough. Though Firefox is still tops for overall features and usability (for me).