Firefox unable to download files consistantly with Symantec

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
aquais

Firefox unable to download files consistantly with Symantec

Post by aquais »

After a very intensive search I wanted to post this here to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. We are seeing firefox not download exe files correctly in our VM environment. For example I go to java.com and download an offline build. I see the file downloading inside my download folder, but when it goes to finishing the file it then reports the file at 0 bytes. Disabling Symantec Endpoint Protection client allows for the files to download without any issues. I have reached out to Symantec tech support and their best response to me has been "some files don't work properly in certain browsers and you should use IE or Chrome". This is not helpful in the least. I have tried disabling all the services inside Symantec one by one to see if I can determine what might be causing this issue, but so far I can't seem to narrow it down. The only thing I know for sure is that disabling the whole thing allows exe files to download properly.
dfoulkes

Re: Firefox unable to download files consistantly with Syman

Post by dfoulkes »

I don't use Symantec... dumped it long ago... I use Avast and have no issues with that download.... but I'm not using VM.

Keep in mind that when Firefox performs a download it creates two files 'until' the download is complete... one ends in 'exe.part' and the other is 'exe' ... but this last one will be zero until the download is finished... it's the 'exe.part' file that you will see building up first...

When you download do you see two files while downloading is taking place? ... and it does sound like Symantec is messing around with stuff... and their answer is a lazy way of getting out of doing their job...

Can you test in a non-VM setting?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Does not sound like a Firefox error but a Symantec one.
Moving to the Tech. Forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Even though this is a Symantec issue try looking for a filetype configuration in the Symantec package itself.
Since .exe files are executable and some are triggered to run once the download is complete it may be a protective issue.
It might also be stopping the files which are set to run on download finish.
Symantec should have given you a better answer use another browser is pretty lame.
It may also be a Windows issue if you have the filetype set to "download and run."
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
aquais

Post by aquais »

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I should have given a bit more information so allow me to elaborate. The issue is only with Firefox inside of our VM environment. If I use Chrome or IE to download any exe files it works just fine, but using Firefox to download the same exact file we can watch it fail. I can see the part.exe file build inside the downloads folder, but when the file completes the download that is when we can see the part.exe file go away and the actual file then reports zero bytes.

We are a university setting and actually only have a handful of physical machines. Due to budget restraints it has been cost effective to create persistent VM machines for the students and staff to use. However I have tested this issue on a normal physical machine and I didn't see the problem occur. So it just appears to be happening inside our virtual environment and only with Firefox.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Could be similar to using a live CD to become familiar with a Linux distribution.
You can play around all you want but can't save any of the configuration files as it lays on the surface and doesn't modify the original configuration files.
Look at your VN setup configuration and see what the permissions are as far as changes go, this could be a security issue if you're not careful
Ridiculous solution but if you had something like Vim or a plain text editor which could maintain the formats might be worth a shot.
Work around might be to open the file with an editor capable of hex or binary, copy the print and save it as a new file.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

As I mentioned... zero VM knowledge here ... but, perhaps using the program Free Download mgr. (and of course its extension in Firefox profile) might get around that problem? ... worth a go?

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Chetan67

Post by Chetan67 »

Hi,

I am Chetan Savade from Symantec Technical Support team. Could you share firefox version details & links what you have been trying to download. We would like to test in our lab. Can you share the support case number we would like to look into it as well.

Latest version of SEP supports Mozilla Firefox from 3.6 - 28.0
aquais

Post by aquais »

Chetan - We are currently running the latest version of Firefox (47.0.1) and running the latest version of Symantec 12.1.6 MP5. My active case number is 10581740. I recently spent several hours on the phone with Rahul Manghat and before him Navin Manoha and before him Raajendirakkumar Jay and before him Vimala Chinnappa and before her back to Navin Manoha. I have upload sylink logs, demonstrated this issue via WebEx sessions, and it was Rahul Manghat who told me that "some files don't work properly in certain browsers and you should use IE or Chrome". I have turned to this forum to gain any additional insight from users who might have also seen this problem.

I have tried using a download manager, and sadly it ends with the same result. Grumpus I will look into the VM permission settings, but I do find it odd that IE and Chrome will download exe files just fine yet Firefox will not. I have also tried looking at other posts in this forum (like http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3015767) and trying different changes inside of Firefox to see if maybe something in the about:config might be causing this to occur yet so far nothing has been the solution.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Please don't lose track of the fact that Firefox has no problem with the download of those same files when Symantec is not in the mix. It's not very professional for Symantec reps to wash their hands of the issue and tell a user to use another browser. Their product is supposed to work with all major browser, not just IE or Chrome.
James

Post by James »

Chetan67 wrote:Latest version of SEP supports Mozilla Firefox from 3.6 - 28.0
So it is rather behind. Firefox 28.0 came out back on March 18, 2014.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

With Symantec only the prices are current :roll:
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Grumpus wrote:Ridiculous solution but if you had something like Vim or a plain text editor which could maintain the formats might be worth a shot.
Work around might be to open the file with an editor capable of hex or binary, copy the print and save it as a new file.
@aquais - My thought on this comment which should have been more explicit was to set Firefox to open file (no run but view) instead of download the file itself using something like a hex editor or other transparent text editor. It might lead to the reasons. Considering some software, like some Internet sites, can be tailored to only download or function per a specific OS.
Chetan67

Post by Chetan67 »

aquais wrote:Chetan - We are currently running the latest version of Firefox (47.0.1) and running the latest version of Symantec 12.1.6 MP5. My active case number is 10581740. I recently spent several hours on the phone with Rahul Manghat and before him Navin Manoha and before him Raajendirakkumar Jay and before him Vimala Chinnappa and before her back to Navin Manoha. I have upload sylink logs, demonstrated this issue via WebEx sessions, and it was Rahul Manghat who told me that "some files don't work properly in certain browsers and you should use IE or Chrome". I have turned to this forum to gain any additional insight from users who might have also seen this problem.

I have tried using a download manager, and sadly it ends with the same result. Grumpus I will look into the VM permission settings, but I do find it odd that IE and Chrome will download exe files just fine yet Firefox will not. I have also tried looking at other posts in this forum (like http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3015767) and trying different changes inside of Firefox to see if maybe something in the about:config might be causing this to occur yet so far nothing has been the solution.
Thanks for sharing support case number if possible we will expedite your case. As per release notes 5.x through 47.0 is supported with the latest version.
SEP system requirements guide: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/arti ... 31877.html
Last edited by Chetan67 on July 29th, 2016, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chetan67

Post by Chetan67 »

James wrote:
Chetan67 wrote:Latest version of SEP supports Mozilla Firefox from 3.6 - 28.0
So it is rather behind. Firefox 28.0 came out back on March 18, 2014.
Sorry that was not accurate. As per release notes 5.x through 47.0 is supported with the latest version.
SEP system requirements guide: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/arti ... 31877.html