Are You a Last Second Windows 10 Adopter?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
WildcatRay

Are You a Last Second Windows 10 Adopter?

Post by WildcatRay »

I am in the process of updating my PC's--I currently have 4, 2 laptops, 2 desktops--to the free Windows 10. My older laptop and desktop were done overnight and are at Windows 10 Home--they were Windows 7 Home Premium. My newer ones will be done when I get home after work. They will be Windows 10 Pro as I purchased them with Windows 10 license

I used the MS Media Creation Tool to create 2 USB drives with Windows 10 on it. I imaged each PC so I have Windows 7 to fall back for each.

What is your story? :wink:

EDIT: I was most concerned about my older laptop as it had a custom Toshiba video driver meaning I could not go to Intel for for updated drivers, but, evidently, the current/latest driver is compatible with Windows 10.
Last edited by WildcatRay on July 29th, 2016, 8:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
LIMPET235

Re: Are You a Last Second Windows 10 Adopter?

Post by LIMPET235 »

I preferred to dual boot WIN 7 & WIN 10. Did it last week & it was "relatively" painless, if a tad slow at times.

Burnt the iso to DVD & installed on a spare HDD partition. (No need of the Media Creation Tool.)
Did the "Custom" install & it took ages to get all the update/s loaded & configured.
No probs with the Activation code from my retail version of WIN7.
Can boot either but still prefer WIN 7.

Way too many changes in WIN 10.
So hard to find any of the basic functions that "we" are used to using.
Killed almost all the so called "feedback" options to home base.

Will see how it all pans out for others that take the plunge.
I've read that quite a few people have lost files & that some programs don't run.
The only thing that I found was my old/er Canon CANOSCAN35 flatbed did not have any current drivers.
Don't use it much but it functions O.K on WIN 7.
:)

Oh yes...& for those that want the Windows Media Centre, it's still available for D/L at Window's D/L's.
Just that it's now "Un-supported."

&, I use ACRONIS 2016, so back-ups are not a problem. (Hopefully.) ;)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

I am most concerned about updates in Windows 10. I have a work PC that BSODed after a kernel update because the CAD-based app on that PC placed shortcuts in the fonts folder as opposed to the font files themselves. I was one of many users who had similar issues until MS fixed the patch.

@LIMPET235,

Had I been more on the ball, I could have set up my PCs with dual boot and or VM's.

The Media Creation Tool is nice because it makes a bootable USB. That probably saved me an appreciable amount of time with my older PCs.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Well, if you're using WIN 10, you cannot turn off or stop the updates. (I think this only pertains to the basic & home editions.....Not sure about the others.)
Seeing as MS are saying that this is the last version of Windows that they will create & release, all they'll do is to keep it updated.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

As I understand it, Win10 Pro can have updates "delayed" to then be applied at a time more convenient to the user. Also, unless I am mistaken, users can block driver updates from Windows Update.

Knock on wood. 8-[ I have had a good overall experience with Windows Update probably because I have name brand PC's--Toshiba laptops and Dell desktops--as opposed to home built ones, but I could just be lucky. :-" I have had occasions where a patch failed, but, it then applies successfully on the next attempt. 8-)
Ray

LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

I have 2, 2nd hand Dell laptops that I may just keep as-is.
1 = XP & 2 = WIN 7 Pro, with "NEVER 10" installed, as is this desk top. :)

So, what do I do?
Go & install WIN 10 on it, albeit on a spare HDD.

Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

WildcatRay wrote:As I understand it, Win10 Pro can have updates "delayed" to then be applied at a time more convenient to the user. Also, unless I am mistaken, users can block driver updates from Windows Update.
You can disable Windows 10 updates on the Windows 10 OS by turning on Metered Connection under Settings > Wi-Fi > Advanced Options. Unless Microsoft changes Windows Update to ignore the metered connection setting, it shouldn't automatically download and install things unless you manually update via Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Thanks, Ngamer01.
Ray

DJGM

Post by DJGM »

Ngamer01 wrote:
WildcatRay wrote: As I understand it, Win10 Pro can have updates "delayed" to then be applied at a time more convenient
to the user. Also, unless I am mistaken, users can block driver updates from Windows Update.
You can disable Windows 10 updates on the Windows 10 OS by turning on Metered Connection
under Settings > Wi-Fi > Advanced Options.
Unfortunately this particular method is not possible if you have a fully wired ethernet LAN setup instead of WiFi. (My LAN is
fully wired up via powerline adapters, as I find WiFi to be almost useless for anything like HD streaming and online gaming.)

Another solution would be to use something like O&O ShutUp10, which amongst other things, offers has option to disable
the mandatory automatic Windows Update feature. Although it's not recommended to disable Windows Update full-time,
you can quite easily re-enable it when the so-called "Patch Tuesday" comes around each month.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

No.
I saved all ISO Windows 10 images from MSDN AA for maybe "later" installations.
But for now I don't want to be part of the "botnet".
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

I am sorry that I tried Windows 10.
  • After less than a day, I had to do a full restore of my newer desktop because (almost?) all the right-click Start Button menu items stopped working. I received errors that the attendant files could not be found.
  • Also, the Start Menu power button options also stopped working.
  • On my newer laptop, several times I started having the right-clicking any of the left side items in File Explorer crash Explorer. (I saw this on some of my other computers, too.)
  • Sleep and Hiberate did not work as they should have on my laptop either taking minutes or more to run.
  • After updating my newer laptop to the Anniversary Update, it exhibited a problem that when I began researching it, the first result was posted in 2015! Microsoft hasn't figured this out yet?
  • EDIT: I recall now what the problem was after applying the Anniversary Update. When the screen would turn off for no activity on the laptop, it was turning off earlier that the time I had set (off at 5 minutes rather than 15 minutes) AND I would have to re-enter my password to get back to the screen desktop. I did not have my system set with a screen saver let alone requiring a password when reactivating the screen! The kicker was that the first search result was to another user reporting a similar issue in a forum and there was no answer to the inquiry despite being posted in 2015!
Keep in mind that my newer laptop and desktop were purchased with Windows 10 licenses and Windows 7 Pro installed! How could these machines be "incompatible" with Windows 10? :roll:

Also, I downloaded the version before the Anniversary Update (1511?) rather than relying on Windows Update to update my computers.

One issue I may have had was the Intel Management Engine software that recommended NOT using the latest version! Instead, use older versions of this software. How can this be a year after Windows 10 was released as well as considering that Windows 10 should have benefited from the problems that Windows 8, 8.1 and 8.1 Update had and should have been resolved by now? ](*,)

I got tired of running sfc /scannow--especially when it returned that there were no problems with the system files--and the various iterations of DISM only to have the issue(s) reappear.

As far as I am concerned, Windows 10 is as bad as Windows 8, et al. I am seriously considering for my next computer the purchase of a Mac or giving Linux another try. I really wanted to like Windows 10. It is simply inexcusable that Microsoft considers Windows 10 a worthy product. My experience says it is a sticking piece of sh*t.
Last edited by WildcatRay on August 9th, 2016, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

jimfitter
Folder@Home

Post by jimfitter »

WildcatRay wrote:After updating my newer laptop to the Anniversary Update, it exhibited a problem...
I've experienced minor config issues, since I chose to do the manual update, on one of my laptops.
I have to say that I don't have the problems that everyone here, seem to have.
I updated all three of my Win7 machines months ago, and found them to be much faster, and problem free, after the updates. They responded like new machines, with the updated drivers, etc.
Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened. - Terry Pratchett
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

jimfitter wrote:
WildcatRay wrote:After updating my newer laptop to the Anniversary Update, it exhibited a problem...
I've experienced minor config issues, since I chose to do the manual update, on one of my laptops.
I have to say that I don't have the problems that everyone here, seem to have.
I updated all three of my Win7 machines months ago, and found them to be much faster, and problem free, after the updates. They responded like new machines, with the updated drivers, etc.
I did my laptop (from Win 8.1 Home) in about November and my desktop (from Win 7 Pro) in about May or June I think. The desktop was certainly much smoother after the upgrade. I did run into a few minor glitches but managed to fix them.

Anniversary Update has not arrived for me yet. I know you can go and grab it but I just wait for these things.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Possibly foolish on my part, but I have just done a clean install of Build 1511--the .ISO file that I have--rather than the upgrade(s) that I had such problems with. Wish me good luck.
Ray

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I've had good luck with Build 1511. However, 2 days ago I tried the automated update to Build 1607 (anniversary build) and it got caught in a infinite loop after the 50% mark. Fortunately I was able to get it to revert to the prior build by twice powering off/on and repeatably pressing a key while it powered up. I retried it today, same results. I'll try running the update again soon after doing a clean boot (disable all startup items and all non-Microsoft services).