Question about all those hidden Win 10 updates

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Ortho_Fan

Question about all those hidden Win 10 updates

Post by Ortho_Fan »

I'm wondering, now that the free Windows 10 upgrade period is over, will all the hidden "Windows 10" related updates disappear on their own, or do I have to do something to make them go away. I've got a pretty extensive list of hidden patches, and it would be a lot easier to cull through them--when I find I actually need one of them. (Hope that made sense.)

OF
mightyglydd

Re: Question about all those hidden Win 10 updates

Post by mightyglydd »

Looks like they're disappearing on their own, as of today I noticed my two hidden KB3035583s (the trigger update for all things bad) and a few others had gone...
Why would one have to do anything other than forget the whole sorry story ?
MS are after $$$$$$$$ now.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I've posted this on various sites, so here it goes once more.

Go to Steve Gibson's site > grc.com & in the Freeware > Utilities tab, look for "NEVER 10."
This is an MS "approved" fix that Steve re-wrote (to save on any errors that may occur), to update/fix the registry.
viz; > https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
D/L it, run it & delete it.
This should remove any files that MS has D/L'd to your M/C.

You could always, of course, do a dual boot of WIN 7 & WIN 10, like I & most probably a heap of others have done.
A quick search on YouTube or even the TEN fora will show you how to perform the task.
Best installed on a separate HDD.
> http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2108 ... s-8-a.html
Britec09 is straight to the point & is easy to understand.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApNeefM3pks

Have fun.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

LIMPET235 wrote:You could always, of course, do a dual boot of WIN 7 & WIN 10, like I & most probably a heap of others have done.

Hmm...Why in the wild world of sports would anyone who's been avoiding the free update like the plague do that ?!
Only circumstance under which I'd install 10 is if it's ever adopted at work (in which case I'd get it free), and at the moment the chances of that are as likely as afternoon snow showers in downtown LA today.
The real fun at the moment is trying the latest Ubuntu/Mint flavor 16/18 LTS updates..... :P
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Well, MG,
For one, when 2020 comes around & WIN 7 is no longer supported, I'd like to have a back-up OS....JIC. :)
ATM, It's just sitting there on my spare HDD, not doing a darn thing.

&, I looked at Linux & did not understand it.
Getting way too old to learn a new OS.
I am very happy to stay with WIN 7.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Limpet235 - You can't use "getting old" to cop out of trying something new.
Putting Either Mint or Ubuntu on a system is pretty much at the idiot level, as evidenced by this user.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
earther

Post by earther »

Grumpus wrote:Putting Either Mint or Ubuntu on a system is pretty much at the idiot level . . .
Catering to that demographic is exactly why Linux is morphing into a useless (and vulnerable-by-design) Windows clone.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

earther wrote: Catering to that demographic is exactly why Linux is morphing into a useless (and vulnerable-by-design) Windows clone.
Respectfully disagree.
And I think Grumpus was making a joke regarding the idiot level for using Linux. :wink:
Linux IMHO and professional opinion is more secure than Windows and not morphing into a Windows clone. Nor is it becoming vulnerable- by- design.
With Linux I don't need to use an antivirus software at all . That I really, really like.
The core components of Linux are far different from Windows.
There is a bit of a learning curve whilst using Linux. For instance using the sudo commands in the terminal, etc.
As for Windows 10 I'm steering clear from it and will use Windows 7 on my desktop.
I also like the fact that I have more control in the updates in Linux than I do with Windows.
And in Linux I don't get hidden updates that I don't want .and I have more user control in Linux than I do in Windows. :)
earther

Post by earther »

LuvKomputrs wrote:
earther wrote: Catering to that demographic is exactly why Linux is morphing into a useless (and vulnerable-by-design) Windows clone.
Respectfully disagree.
And I think Grumpus was making a joke regarding the idiot level for using Linux. :wink:
A 'joke' with more than a grain of truth.
LuvKomputrs wrote:Linux IMHO and professional opinion is more secure than Windows and not morphing into a Windows clone. Nor is it becoming vulnerable- by- design.
Ever hear of systemd?
LuvKomputrs wrote:With Linux I don't need to use an antivirus software at all.
Not yet. With the current shift to a monolithic system it's only a matter of time.
LuvKomputrs wrote:The core components of Linux are far different from Windows.
Ever hear of systemd?
LuvKomputrs wrote:There is a bit of a learning curve whilst using Linux. For instance using the sudo commands in the terminal, etc.
Sudo by default is so not-a-good-idea and part of the problem with the distros mentioned. Makes your computer as vulnerable as running in Windows administrator mode.
LuvKomputrs wrote:I have more user control in Linux than I do in Windows. :)
This is true but user CHOICE is rapidly vanishing especially with the Gnome/systemd binding. This prescient discussion pointed to the reality that is unfolding in the present. You might want to look at this which is why we're doing this
Quote from https://www.ubuntubsd.org/wiki:why_not_systemd:
If your goal is to pander to the lowest common denominator, so be it. We will look for alternatives, however.
Note: You can find me as 'golinux' on the Devuan 'Team' page, ML and irc.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Yes, I have heard of of systemd.
I posted the sudo command just as an example.
Windows is more vulnerable in administrator mode than Linux with distros.
I'm in IT and test OSs on a daily basis.
Who knows if we'll need an antivirus at all with Linux? :wink:
IMHO and professional opinion Linux truly listens to feedback from their users and will still be made a more secure OS than Windows.
Thank you for the link to ubuntubsd. I'll also take a look at the Devuan "Team" page. :)
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

mightyglydd wrote:
LIMPET235 wrote:You could always, of course, do a dual boot of WIN 7 & WIN 10, like I & most probably a heap of others have done.

Hmm...Why in the wild world of sports would anyone who's been avoiding the free update like the plague do that ?!
Only circumstance under which I'd install 10 is if it's ever adopted at work (in which case I'd get it free), and at the moment the chances of that are as likely as afternoon snow showers in downtown LA today.
The real fun at the moment is trying the latest Ubuntu/Mint flavor 16/18 LTS updates..... :P
Only look at Windows 10 at work myself.
Won't have it on my desktop.
My desktop will have Windows 7 until the end of its support which is 2020.
Who knows what going to happen by then? :wink:
Also like Ubuntu/Mint flavor 16/18 LTS updates too. :D
And as for hidden Windows 10 updates they're also gone on my desktop.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

earther wrote: Ever hear of systemd?
How could we forget.. :roll:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... it=systemd

@There a plenty of non systemd distros one can use without having to use a Distro run by tub thumping religious zealots.. ...Actually I use one myself ;)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

We're sort of off track here, folks\. The Subject is "hidden Win10 updates", which as far as I can recall, are not part of any Linux packages. Let's get things back on topic or we can call this thread a loss and lock it up.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

*cough* back on topic... ;)
Just checked my desktop which has Windows 7 Home Premium on it.
I went into Window Update and checked restore hidden updates.
Noticed the three KB3035583s were gone and also the other hidden updates that related to being upgraded to Windows 10.
I still have check for updates and let me choose when to install them instead of automatic updates selected.
Just in case.
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

I just re-checked my hidden updates and also saw that the ones specifically oriented to "get windows 10," including all the nagware ones, were gone.

I still see KB2952664, among the hidden updates, the so-called "Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7" which is designed to check for issues that may be "encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed" but I guess that's more generic in nature, and not specifically oriented to upgrading to Windows 10 (?).

I also noted that KB2999226 -- which "allows Windows desktop applications that depend on the Windows 10 Universal CRT release to run on earlier Windows operating systems" is still listed, as is KB3068708 which "collects diagnostics information about functional issues on Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP)." I don't plan to add any new software for the remainder of the time I have this PC, so these are moot for now.

Many thanks for the confirmations. I figure my HP Omni "all in one" PC, which is now four years old, is probably good for another two or three before it starts to fall apart. If I'm still among the quick, at that time, I'll probably get a Mac.

OF