New Malvertising Exploit Found That Infected Thousands

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Wiggam72

New Malvertising Exploit Found That Infected Thousands

Post by Wiggam72 »

I just found the following info. Can FF prevent future attacks from this type of attack? If not, what is the best way to prevent it?

http://www.computerworld.com/article/31 ... r-day.html
mightyglydd

Re: New Malvertising Exploit Found That Infected Thousands

Post by mightyglydd »

Wiggam72 wrote:what is the best way to prevent it?
Go see a clairvoyant or disconnect from the internet?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Are you serious?!! It's that difficult?!! Someone has to come up with an effective way to stop this crap or else everyone is in serious trouble.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Read, the ad networks have apparently stopped it Malware ads' steganography
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Grumpus, thanks for the link. :)

And for everyone, I read the comments from the link that Grumpus posted and one poster stated: "Yet another example of why everyone should run ad blockers and No Script by default.

When will the advertising world get that they are the source of a lot of problems and cleanup their act."

I used to have No Script installed but removed it for some reason that escapes me at the moment. Maybe it was because it conflicted with another extension or it could have been that it was causing me a problem when I visited sites.

Should I reinstall No Script? I have the following related extensions installed.

Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon
Enable Tracking Protection
Self Destructing Cookies
WOT-which I know some feel is worthless. Currently looking into uBlock after it was suggested in another thread.

Also, I have the following non Add-ons that actively protect against various attacks:

Avast AV
Comodo FW
Spyware Blaster
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

This is not a FF support issue. Moving to FF General.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Hmmmmm, think this is a support issue. Oh well. RobertJ, please address this issue, especially since you suggested uBlock. Will uBlock conflict with what I have installed?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Know nothing about the issue. uBlock and Adblock Plus should not be installed together.

Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

RobertJ, please read this thread. It will refresh your memory as it segues with this thread in the Support section. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3016001
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

RobertJ is right you are wrong get over it (personally I would have moved the thread to tech)
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Why would you make such a statement? I made my point about the Support issue which is secondary and I'm done with that. I'm really concerned about finding a solution to the issue I started the thread about. I'm hoping to get more feedback on ways to prevent being a victim of that exploit (and others like it) while using FF.

I'm also hoping that RobertJ will tell me what he prefers about uBlock instead of using Adblock Plus and Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon so I can make an informed decision to keep using it or switch to uBlock, hence the reason I posted the link because it appears that he didn't know the reason I attributed uBlock to him and specifically asked for his advice.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Wiggam72 wrote:Why would you make such a statement?
Because its the truth
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Listen, I didn't come on this forum to get into a pissing contest with anyone. If I feel I did something wrong I will say so. I stated my opinion when I said "Hmmmmm, think this is a support issue. Oh well." and I was done with it but you seem to want to provoke a fight over nothing.

That term "Oh well" means that I accepted it for what it is and I'm through. Not that I want to get into a fight about it. We had a difference of opinion, so what. It doesn't mean that I dislike or have no respect for him. If I that were the case, why in the world would I ask for his advice? Heck, even you disagreed with where he should have moved my post. Do you dislike or not respect him? Did I say anything about that? If I were concerned about squabbling about it, I would have brought that up and start fighting about it.

My concern is safe browsing, smooth running of FF and seeking help to do so, especially after I found out what happened with the first ever attack of its kind and why I started the thread. I'm on this forum to get help, to learn, and when it presents itself, help others, which usually happens when others have the same issue.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Wiggam72 wrote: When will the advertising world get that they are the source of a lot of problems and cleanup their act."
This question has been asked before and the general answer is it would be too involved and costly.
Part of this is understanding the cash side of things.

However, I have to agree with some of the comments supporting this thread as belonging in Technical as Firefox is not the core problem, though in all fairness it does affect browsers in general, most folks use a more narrow margin to determine whether a post is Support, General or other.
I pointed to a thread yesterday which needed to go to technical and didn't point to this one thinking the Mod would see this one with the other and move them both.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

By popular demand this is now being moved to "Tech". And, if Wiggam72 continues to be annoying it will be locked.