GTK2 and GTK3 theming

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
barbaz

Re: GTK2 and GTK3 theming

Post by barbaz »

Frenzie wrote:I'm not familiar with anything other than Parasite for GTK2, but it didn't add GTK3 compatibility until 2012 and can still be compiled both ways.
How do you build it for GTK 2? It's rejected my attempts to do that.
Is it needed to checkout an earlier commit?
Frenzie wrote:But when SeaMonkey is the only app that looks a bit off, one has to wonder what makes you so sure it's the theme that's at fault and not SeaMonkey?
Several things:
1) SeaMonkey Modern theme doesn't look off at all
2) SeaMonkey default theme doesn't look significantly screwed with Raleigh system theme (unlike every other system theme I've tried so far)
3) Comments from Frank Lion and patrickjdempsey, both of whom have been right about a lot of things before
Frenzie

Post by Frenzie »

I was going by the GitHub page which states it builds for GTK2 unless otherwise specified, but having just quickly checked the documentation is lying. In any case you'd need the relevant dev packages, something like

autoconf automake libgtk2.0-dev python-dev python-gtk2-dev

Here is a DEB-package of Parasite I compiled a few years back. Here is the source if that doesn't work.

To build from that source

Code: Select all

dpkg-source -x gtkparasiteblabla.dsc
cd gtkparasiteetc
debchange -R #add ~whatever
dpkg-checkbuilddeps #install what's needed
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
It's potentially easier that way because it's already integrated into the Debian workflow.

(If it isn't obvious by now, I haven't really used Parasite in a while. Sorry. :))
barbaz wrote:Several things:
1) SeaMonkey Modern theme doesn't look off at all
2) SeaMonkey default theme doesn't look significantly screwed with Raleigh system theme (unlike every other system theme I've tried so far)
3) Comments from Frank Lion and patrickjdempsey, both of whom have been right about a lot of things before
1. May not mean anything. Sounds like this "Modern" theme probably ignores system looks. I couldn't find it under "appearance" in the settings though.
2&3. SeaMonkey looks just fine for me btw, but I couldn't find a GTK3 version in the first place? The fact that you said Raleigh (i.e., one the default themes besides Adwaita) is potentially relevant. However, if "bad" GTK themes get away with some kind of fallback to Raleigh/Adwaita, it'd still be SeaMonkey's fault for not falling back to Raleigh like other GTK apps do. NB I'm not saying this is the case. I'm not seeing any real issues in the first place. :P
Last edited by Frenzie on August 11th, 2016, 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

The site where you uploaded those files does not work for me, I can't download them. Can you please host them somewhere else, such as mediafire or (if you have) Google Drive?
Frenzie wrote:2&3. SeaMonkey looks just fine for me btw, but I couldn't find a GTK3 version in the first place? The fact that you said Raleigh (i.e., one the default themes besides Adwaita) is potentially relevant. However, if "bad" GTK themes get away with some kind of fallback to Raleigh/Adwaita, it'd still be SeaMonkey's fault for not falling back to Raleigh like other GTK apps do. NB I'm not saying this is the case. I'm not seeing any real issues in the first place. :P
Oh, maybe they switched back to GTK 2 now? I'll take a look to find a specific Nightly build that uses GTK 3.
EDIT https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/n ... ral-trunk/
/EDIT

The worst I've seen the problem is with oxygen-gtk, but aside Raleigh, all the theme I've tried seems to look like crap on SeaMonkey to some extent. Everything weirdly scrunched together, buttons can be smaller in height than their content, toolbars have really weird gradients, new tab page is an odd color, and in at least some cases also got black tooltips with black text.

Been using Ubuntu 14.04 for all this, I haven't yet loaded SeaMonkey in my Ubuntu 16.04 system so didn't get the chance to check Adwaita, but that's an interesting thought, thanks.

EDIT
Actually, this SeaMonkey nightly has fixes for almost everything I had a problem with =D> Now only, the new tab page is a weird color, and the tab bar and toolbars are slightly squished. But that stuff can probably be fixed just with CSS inside the browser.
EDIT2 Did some quick testing out of curiosity. The fixes are only in 2.47 and later it seems. 2.46 still has issues with GTK 3.
Frenzie

Post by Frenzie »

barbaz wrote:The site where you uploaded those files does not work for me, I can't download them. Can you please host them somewhere else, such as mediafire or (if you have) Google Drive?
Drat, that site was deceptive. :( I updated the links.
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Downloaded both files, thanks!

EDIT And the .deb works great, I'm able to get a value to specify for widget directive for theming something specific :D