Understood with workaround -Dbl SM icons

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Grumpus

Understood with workaround -Dbl SM icons

Post by Grumpus »

Noticed on Ubuntu Unity sidebar where start icons are located.
Clicking on the SeaMonkey icon adds an identical icon which appears to be the active one.
Clicking on the original icon opens another instance of SeaMonkey. (maybe window not sure)
Is this normal?
Installed with Ubuntuzilla. Version 2.40
Last edited by Grumpus on August 16th, 2016, 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Grumpus

Re: Double SeaMonkey Icons -Linux (Unity sidebar)

Post by Grumpus »

Maybe this helps?
screenshot
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Grumpus wrote:Is this normal?
Nope. Start icons are controlled by the OS/Desktop Manager, I think. Those sidebars can be edited to add stuff, so try editing the extra SM one away.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I see something similar with the first restart of SeaMonkey on Mac OS. I get a second SeaMonkey icon on the dock. Subsequent restarts during the same session do not create extra icons. I saw that with older versions, but with this version it seems to be a recent happening. Why it started again I have no idea.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Thanks Frank Lion and Anonymosity.
If I unlock the SeaMonkey icon from the Unity Sidebar so none show and use the Search Your Computer and Online Sources icon, clicking on the SeaMonkey icon there does not create a second icon on the sidebar.
However if I lock the icon when SeaMonkey is open or if I drag SeaMonkey icon from the Search Your Computer area the icon double.
Deleting either of the icons closes SeaMonkey.
Trying to re-open too soon creates a third icon.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to MozillaZine Tech as this seems to be something outside of SeaMonkey.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Anonymosity - It may be more the way it relates to the Unity setup with some folks using the traditional normal Gnome setup.
The start icons went on panels without the relationship to the Search Your Computer and Online Sources part of the desktop.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Grumpus wrote:@Anonymosity - It may be more the way it relates to the Unity setup with some folks using the traditional normal Gnome setup.
The start icons went on panels without the relationship to the Search Your Computer and Online Sources part of the desktop.
I have no idea what a Unity setup is, and things on the Mac OS dock do not work in the way suggested. I cannot edit things from the dock, but only exit them, hide or show them, remove them, open at login, or show them in the Finder (the shell app for accessing files).
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Anonymosity - Search Your Computer and Online Sources is an icon at the top of the sidebar which has several folders, one of which shows the icons of recent packages used, other folders show files, and the entire list of softwares for use in Ubuntu. The Unity sidebar allows for the docking of icons much like a panel so you don't have to use the Search Your Computer and Online Sources icon. If I can solve the duplicate icon by opening SeaMonkey from the list of icons in the Search Your Computer and Online Sources area, it should be fine. I don't put too much stuff on the sidebar and it's almost as quick. Just an observation, a number of people stopped using Ubuntu due to the incursion of AWS through the Search Your Computer and Online Sources. It takes a lot to break the connection to AWS and it's constant suggestions. Might as well figure this understood, not solved with a workaround.
Davebuntu

Re: Understood with workaround -Dbl SM icons

Post by Davebuntu »

I don't know why Canonical stopped putting SeaMonkey in the Ubuntu repo.
No Signature
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Could be version issue.
Ubuntu sometimes stops updating some packages and carries the newer version over to the next operating system update. i.e Trusty to Xenial?
Doesn't seem to be always applied in the LTS versions lately.
I got SeaMonkey from Ubuntuzilla repos.
If the SeaMonkey folks came out with a "Debian all" package that should work using dpkg or Gdebi and would alleviate some of the issues with using a tarball or Ubuntuzilla.
That might help but it depends on Canonical and what kind of changes they want to implement in the new version of the OS.
Might be they also want to see how things progress in general with browsers.
Davebuntu

Post by Davebuntu »

Sounds about right.
No Signature