Linux Mint update of FF48 #2

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Grumpus

Linux Mint update of FF48 #2

Post by Grumpus »

Trying to figure is this really was a move of the search engines?
There was an update today of Firefox 48, there had already been a FF48 update but this also came with a MInt artwork file.
What it seems is the .xml search engine files were moved from the traditional location for Mint and Ubuntu to the more discrete location in the /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins.
Instituted the usual carnage but am still wondering if these really were the search engines.
Not posted in Mint forums as access is through AWS which is blocked.

There was no secondary update of FF48 for Ubuntu which usually precedes the Mint update. :-k
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
mightyglydd

Re: Linux Mint update of FF48 #2

Post by mightyglydd »

Grumpus wrote:Not posted in Mint forums as access is through AWS which is blocked.

Blocked by who or what ? I have no problem accessing it.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

:oops: Apparently forums not blocked anymore. I don't know.
Thanks. Didn't accept my user ID and password. Wound up re-registering.
Only saw some comment on the art work being in the repo but no explanation of whether the things I removed were search engine files or just images. Seems funny to provide xml files for images.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

Linux Mint supplies their own versions of Firefox, with "customized" search plugins, and they do it for the money it brings in.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@kreemoweet - Thanks, what I found was an instance where the locales apparently were duplicating the search engines in one case and some advice not to update to the 48-1 Mint supplied Firefox and then advice to use the fixed 48-2 with the usual counterpoints. My concern was the use of XML files as artwork possibly being search engine files. Removing them a has caused me none of the issues of cross locale ( search engines in two languages). Still not found a definitive answer.
Housecleaning yesterday was how these were found along with the update for Mint version FF 48-2.
Dumped about 10 GB of old repos and unused bits and pieces on each OS, things seem to be moving a bit smarter.