Windows takes control of holdouts

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Reflective

Re: Windows takes control of holdouts

Post by Reflective »

LuvKomputrs wrote:I clicked on:
If you prefer to use a different Web browser, you can get updates from the Microsoft Download Center
Took a look there and noticed that there are updates listed at the Microsoft Download Center for Windows 7 and 8.1
Microsoft Download Center
KB3167679 search As an example.
Was able to get into it using both SeaMonkey 2.40/2.45 and Firefox 48
Wondering if there's any major difference between the Microsoft Download Center and the Update Catalog. :-k
I don't need to go in there very often.
I've gone into the Microsoft Download Center before using another browser other than IE for an update for my Windows 0S.
Also got check for updates but let me choose when to install them instead of automatic updates selected.
Don't wanna get any nasty surprises! :wink:
Yes, I know that, but I if you look at the "Security-only Updates" section in the link I posted earlier, you'll see the following sentence: "The Security-only update will be available to download and deploy from WSUS, SCCM, and the Microsoft Update Catalog."

So i guess you won't find it in on the MDC site.

EDIT: I have the same setting as you as regards WU, but I'm going to reset it to "Never check for updates" the reason being that with the current setting, the rollups will still be downloaded taking up unnecessary HD space.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Reflective wrote:
If you prefer to use a different Web browser, you can get updates from the Microsoft Download Center
Took a look there and noticed that there are updates listed at the Microsoft Download Center for Windows 7 and 8.1
Wondering if there's any major difference between the Microsoft Download Center and the Update Catalog. :-k
I've gone into the Microsoft Download Center before using another browser other than IE for an update for my Windows 0S.
Also got check for updates but let me choose when to install them instead of automatic updates selected.
Yes, I know that, but I if you look at the "Security-only Updates" section in the link I posted earlier, you'll see the following sentence: "The Security-only update will be available to download and deploy from WSUS, SCCM, and the Microsoft Update Catalog."

EDIT: I have the same setting as you as regards WU, but I'm going to reset it to "Never check for updates" the reason being that with the current setting, the rollups will still be downloaded taking up unnecessary HD space.
Thanks for the clarification. :)
Noticed you still can't get to the Microsoft Update Catalog whilst using another browser. :?
And why can't you find those security-only updates on the MDC site? Typical of Micro$oft. :roll:
Don't like IE...won't use IE...and I'm going to decide what goes on my computer.
And I won't let Micro$oft push updates on me that I don't want. [-X
May change the setting myself to "Never check for updates". :wink:
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

earther wrote:You just think you're in charge of your Windows box. Not for much longer . . .
Hard to believe that anyone in their right mind really thinks he/she is actually in charge of his/her Windows box.
I frankly doubt that being in charge may be entirely true of any OS, but Windows is a given, by design it takes control of any computer on which it's installed.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Drumbrake wrote:
earther wrote:You just think you're in charge of your Windows box. Not for much longer . . .
Hard to believe that anyone in their right mind really thinks he/she is actually in charge of his/her Windows box.
I frankly doubt that being in charge may be entirely true of any OS, but Windows is a given, by design it takes control of any computer on which it's installed.
Probably not on Windows 10. Anyone who installed that signed up for the guinea pig lifetime enslavement award. But I think I have as nearest to absolute control over my 8.1 machine as is possible to be.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

LuvKomputrs wrote:
Reflective wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. :)
Noticed you still can't get to the Microsoft Update Catalog whilst using another browser. :?
And why can't you find those security-only updates on the MDC site? Typical of Micro$oft. :roll:
Don't like IE...won't use IE...and I'm going to decide what goes on my computer.
And I won't let Micro$oft push updates on me that I don't want. [-X
May change the setting myself to "Never check for updates". :wink:
Best piece of news yet!

I've discovered in the meantime that you can download updates from the MUC site via an RSS feed. So no need to switch to IE anymore.

Here's an example: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/ ... =KB3179574
Clicking the link will take you to the MUC catalog where you'll also find a link to the support article.

To get a different update, just change the KB number.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Reflective wrote: Best piece of news yet!

I've discovered in the meantime that you can download updates from the MUC site via an RSS feed. So no need to switch to IE anymore.

Here's an example: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/ ... =KB3179574
Clicking the link will take you to the MUC catalog where you'll also find a link to the support article.

To get a different update, just change the KB number.
Thanks so much for the information! :D
So glad I don't have to switch to/use IE. :mrgreen:
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

They still haven't pulled ActiveX control so you access the update catalog with another browser other than IE. Typical. :roll:

Be aware of this:
MS-DEFCON 2

Got a list of updates today for Windows 7 and among them some really old ones from last year. :?
I hid them all since I didn't need them for my Windows 7 OS.
And some old ones that I hid e.g. a security update for IE 11.
And it appeared again! :shock:
No longer use IE11 on my computer. :D
Micro$oft...sneaky little buggers! [-X
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Well don't have to worry about Windows Update... I have not been able to get yesterday's Patch-Tuesday to do anything. Worked OK last month, but then again it also installed the 'Anniversary' Update.

I am wondering now if WU is busted by the Anniversary Update.. Not finding much on web of others having issues, yet!

EDIT: I've rebooted/warm & cold
Ran sfc/check all OK
Ran Malwarebytes - all OK
turned off Defender - no different won't run
turned off Firewall - same as above.
Cannot remove the Anniversary update as it appears you only had 10 days to change your mind.
Tried to just do a 'pave over' install and merely got 'Thanks for Installing the Anniversary Update' :(