Google Search Material Design Layout

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
morat

Google Search Material Design Layout

Post by morat »

Does anyone know how to disable the new Material Design layout for Google Search?

Google is testing a new Material Design layout for desktop searches
http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/8/118817 ... ayout-test

Search Settings
http://www.google.com/preferences?hl=en
Frenzie

Re: Google Search Material Design Layout

Post by Frenzie »

You could see if there are any userstyles to your liking, or switch to a different search engine. :P
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Try opening Google and search for banana, just banana.
You get the panel (on this system) to the right with some of the banana nomenclature.
It's kind of nice for school kids or people who don't know some of the stuff in the panels.
Only thought is what happens when they search for ________ (fill in the blank) and find all sorts of things beyond redemption. :-k
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
morat

Post by morat »

@Frenzie

I think there is a Material Design cookie or something. When I clear the browsing data and reload a search tab then I get the old layout.

@Grumpus

Thanks. I will try searching for banana.

I did a search for dragon fruit last week because I saw dragon fruits next to bananas at the grocery. I thought... Damn. Is that for real? It looks like a power-up item from a role-playing video game.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@morat - It probably needs some refinements but Google has been giving me a fit lately with some of the search terms.
Mostly due to the complete disregard in the computer world for anything which actually might exist outside of virtual reality.
It seems to me a little bit like blinders on as I don't think it has any real moral or political implications, it's just a confused word search.
Hasn't been working all that well when presented with specifics and doing a back step to a previous page does not always show the same results.
Sort of like a wheel of might be can you be more specific, even when I was.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you