VPN question

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
petergo

VPN question

Post by petergo »

hi

please forgive me for being so dumb, but I can't find an answer to my question using my friend google, so here I am

It's regarding VPN that comes with the Opera browser.
If the VPN is activated in Opera, and then I close the browser, because I love FF so much better, does it hide my IP address whilst I use FF? ( and Thundrerbird for my emails)

or, do you think I need to keep the Opera browse windo open but go ahead and use FF?

BTW, Opera forums suck, I have signed in for help so many times now, and they keep requesting I clcik on a confirmation email which never comes, and I keep selecting send again, but it still doesn't. So, I can't ask any question on their help forum !

I don't understand enough about the internet to figure out what may be a common sense question, but hopefully I can use FF and not have to keep the Opera browser window open to have the benefit of their VPN

thanks, cheers
peter
LIMPET235

Re: VPN question

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Peter,
Still getting a few "teething" probs are we?

As this is not really a Firefox issue, I'll move it to the Tech. forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Don't know if you've read this VPN wiki yet but maybe it will help a little.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
petergo

Post by petergo »

g'day Grumpus
thanks for the link, and I read the contents, but beyond the basics of already knowing why we use a VPN, most of the article was above my pay grade , sorry

If I could be a little clearer, I would like to know if my FF browsing is shielded by the VPN from Opera even if the Opera browser is closed?
and if I were to leave Opera open, would their VPN cover my FF and TB applications

thanks, cheers
peter
petergo

Post by petergo »

MightyMichael

thanks m8
disappoointing news though as I like to donwload stuff using uTorrent

may I kindly ask you if you think there is a way around this, OR, do I have to invest in one of the pay for VPN's
I had been using cyberghost and it's great except with the free version you can't download stuff, and Thunderbird I can't send emails

thanks m8, cheers
peter