Why do I have Kubuntu 17.04 Instead of 16.10

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
reb68

Why do I have Kubuntu 17.04 Instead of 16.10

Post by reb68 »

I did the upgrade from Kubuntu 16.04 (64) to Kubuntu 16/10 and ended up with Kubuntu 17.04 (64). I cannot get Synaptic to work correctly because the repositories show the following:

The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences is correct.

The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/ondrej/php/ubuntu zesty Release' does not have a Release file.Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla ... ppa/ubuntu zesty Release' does not have a Release file.
Are these related to being in 17.04? I was in the Ubuntu forum because I could not get Firefox to work without the Google Start page. I solved that and discovered I was in 17.04. The person helping me in the other Forum suggested I come here because we had cone beyond my original problem and this forum might better help me.
The topic I was in "How to delete Google Start Page..That is solved but I cannot update because of the above errors.
A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate thier own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government .
Grumpus

Re: Why do I have Kubuntu 17.04 Instead of 16.10

Post by Grumpus »

You should stick with oldos2er over in the Ubuntu/Desktop forum and their comments were on point. Not everyone is using this advanced an Ubuntu version.
"I would temporarily disable the http://ppa.launchpad.net/ondrej/php/ubuntu PPA; the error you're seeing occurs because there is no "zesty" version of it available."
As a Super moderator they will help you better.
Did you run the terminal command and provide them with the info? You may need to open a terminal and run it with sudo.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
reb68

Post by reb68 »

I thought you said to go to Mozillazine Tech forum and start will the new problem. Please tell me where to go and is "oldos2er" the moderator? I have turned off the ppa lines you suggested. What about the Daily ppa Should I also turn them off. They are also Zesty.How is best to run the Terminal command for the info needed?
I have the Firefox working now and do not see the Google page. Maybe all is solved except why I have 17.04.
A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate thier own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government .
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@reb68 - Usually the tech thread is for problems unrelated to Firefox but not a very specific forum.
If you read some of the posts and threads you can see goes into the ozone.
You should deal directly with Oldos2er in the Ubuntu forums as he/she are a Super Moderator and will be far more help than most of the folks in the tech threads.
I'm still running butchered versions of an earlier Ubuntu LTS and the same for Linux Mint with experimental kernels so you are going to get the best help in the Ubuntu forums, that's my only concern.
The terminal command is a catalog command and will be helpful for Oldos2er to straighten out your system.
Find the terminal icon and try typing it without sudo, if it gripes try it with sudo and copy the contents into a text editor.
There are instructions in the Ubuntu forums for posting such information but if unsure ask the person helping you.
I'm not trying to brush you off as you need more in depth help.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
reb68

Post by reb68 »

Thank you for the help you have given me. I appreciate it. Have a great Christmas if you celebrate iit. Thanks again .
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Have a good Holiday as well. :x-mas: