My "NBN" FTTN modem keeps dropping out.[No floods involved.]

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
LIMPET235

Re: My "NBN" FTTN modem keeps dropping out.

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Grumps,
There's really no way to "see" inside the road side pillars, as they are only accessible to Telstra/NBN Co. employees.

There are locked up tight, to stop anyone destroying or vandalizing them.

Of course, if anyone wanted, they could always crash a car into them.....But, I've never heard of anyone doing so. Not intentionally anyway.
:)

This is what I mean by road side pillar/s.
> https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tels ... 30&bih=700

My pit connection is somewhat better than this one...but not much.
> https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tels ... mtG-rmM%3A

This is a FTTN illustration...
> https://www.google.com.au/search?q=nbn+ ... U-hMvhM%3A

I now know exactly where the "node" (large green box), actually is located....it's just adjacent to the local pillar which is 850 metres away..
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Just goes to show we're separated by the same language.
I thought the pit was something like a concrete box underground where connections were made.
There's probably some guy looks at the pit connections and wonders," what's wrong, it connects don't it?"
Our pits here, for the most part are up in the air on poles, there's some pillars but for different carriers and cable people.
Look just as chaotic on the inside with all the pairs but the fiber stuff hooks up to a different line than what the "pits" are on
The large green box is called something else here but I know where it is.
There's also stations (small brick buildings) which what you call nodes tie into for the various client rack mount equipment.
I used to do the rack mount and switch layouts for the regional phone system.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi guys 'n' gal,
A quick update on the problem.

It seems as though, way back in mid December, after I had called about the error,
someone up graded me from the Basic Plan of 12mbps down & 1mbps (Tier 1), up to the
100 down & 40 up plan. (Tier 4.)

After PM'ing with the techs at Optus' "Yes Crowd" forum for a week or so,
one came back & reported that that upgrade was not suitable for my situation/location/the old copper wires etc., etc.

He has now down graded me to the 25/5 plan & so far, the modem has not dropped out once.
Was on for about 13 Hrs on Friday = No drop outs.
Saturday = 12 Hrs = No drop outs.
Been just on 2 ½ days now & is looking like they found the "reason why."

So, please keep everything X'd for moi....O.K.?

Oh yes. The speeds are just great as well & all for the same price as my original plan.
;)

ps. Mal, There was one guy who kept asking me about how/why/where was the modem plugged in.
He wanted me to plug it into a "wall socket."
I told him at least twice, that it was powered through my UPS, along with the PC & monitor
& that I had not had any kind of power outage or the like.
Bit thick, I think.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Yep I had much the same when I told the twerp from my ISP I wanted to use my own router. A Netscape Nighthawk as against the POS they were offering at a "reduced" price. I had to explain very slowly that we had a big house and needed something with decent power to cover it. I still don't think he grasped the difference
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi guys 'n' gal,
A quick update on the problem.

It seems as though, way back in mid December, after I had called about the error,
someone up graded me from the Basic Plan of 12mbps down & 1mbps (Tier 1), up to the
100 down & 40 up plan. (Tier 4.)

After PM'ing with the techs at Optus' "Yes Crowd" forum for a week or so,
one came back & reported that that upgrade was not suitable for my situation/location/the old copper wires etc., etc.

He has now down graded me to the 25/5 plan & so far, the modem has not dropped out once.
Was on for about 13 Hrs on Friday = No drop outs.
Saturday = 12 Hrs = No drop outs.
Been just on 2 ½ days now & is looking like they found the "reason why."

So, please keep everything X'd for moi....O.K.?

Oh yes. The speeds are just great as well & all for the same price as my original plan.
;)

ps. Mal, There was one guy who kept asking me about how/why/where was the modem plugged in.
He wanted me to plug it into a "wall socket."
I told him at least twice, that it was powered through my UPS, along with the PC & monitor
& that I had not had any kind of power outage or the like.
Bit thick, I think.
thats interesting, i shall remember that as i'll probably hit that problem also when its stuff knows rolled out in my town, i had to have a laugh a few days ago when the NBN CEO claims the NBN is being rolled out on time, but i'll more than likely stick to the 25/5 plan anyway as it'll be all i can afford
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Arch,
Yep. All looks sweet...for now.

PTN: Optus still booked another NBN Co. tech for Tuesday, to perform another series of tests.
--------------------------------------------------------

While I was PM'ing the Optus, Yes Crowd, I suggested that they, OPTUS, update & improve their "one" paragraph
on the reasons for not getting the speed/s that customers are paying for.
NB: That paragraph is way down the bottom of most of the NBN info pages, I think. Who the hell scrolls way down there?
Any new customer is looking for the best plan they need for their situation.
I think the "paragraph" should be at the top of each page.

It just contains the usual drivel about distance, line loading, condition of your copper etc., etc.
There's no actual page where more details are listed.
Most probably, way too many variables, but if they could expand that info., it would save Optus time etc., & not have to answer
so many phone calls.
T'would also alleviate the frustrating time that customers have to bear when "on hold."

Anyway.
It's their problem.

Stay safe.

Regs, L..

Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Glad this was worked out.
Was afraid I'd have to come there and rewire the country. ;)
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi Arch,
Yep. All looks sweet...for now.

PTN: Optus still booked another NBN Co. tech for Tuesday, to perform another series of tests.
--------------------------------------------------------

While I was PM'ing the Optus, Yes Crowd, I suggested that they, OPTUS, update & improve their "one" paragraph
on the reasons for not getting the speed/s that customers are paying for.
NB: That paragraph is way down the bottom of most of the NBN info pages, I think. Who the hell scrolls way down there?
Any new customer is looking for the best plan they need for their situation.
I think the "paragraph" should be at the top of each page.

It just contains the usual drivel about distance, line loading, condition of your copper etc., etc.
There's no actual page where more details are listed.
Most probably, way too many variables, but if they could expand that info., it would save Optus time etc., & not have to answer
so many phone calls.
T'would also alleviate the frustrating time that customers have to bear when "on hold."

Anyway.
It's their problem.

Stay safe.

Regs, L..
glad its all fixed, but yeah i can see your point. i tend to think i might get a similar problem, i remember when i moved back to my fathers place an got ADSL on, they ( Telstra ) put a Line Booster on my phoneline. my ADSL2+ speeds arent all that great now, i used to get around 2mb a sec download speed, i now get atleast around 1.7mb a sec download speed
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hey Grumps,
Appreciate it if you would come over & just rewire my phone line.
Been in the ground for about 35 odd years & all the cables are just above the water table.
When it rains, the pits fill up & all the cables/connections etc., are under water.
&.....There's no-one planning on replacing the old copper cables.
It's just..."patch them up as best you can" type attitude by all involved.
Costs them to send the Tech/s out, not to mention the in-convenience for the customer/s.

Arch,
With the 25/5 plan they upped me to, the speeds are great, compared to the old ADSL2.
ADSL2 Max = 650 KB/s down & 80 KB/s up.
NBN Max = 24.1 mbps/3012 KB/s down & 6.40mbps/800 KB/s up.
Average of 5 x the D/L & 10 x the Ups.
Will make uploading of my yachting videos to my YT channel, just a tad quicker.

As a test of the D/L speeds of files & if they would be affected when D/L'ing multiples,
I did 2 x .MP4's from Leo Laporte @ TWiT TV.
Both were about 300 Meg.
There was no slow down at all.
Both came down at ~1.1 to 1.3 MB/s & took about 4 Mins in total.

I was amazed, to say the least.

Hope you get a similar or better result when you finally get the NBN in your area.

LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi guys, NB:
(There's absolutely nothing wrong with the connection ATM, but I agreed with Optus to go ahead & let the NBN Co. tech check again today.)

Another very quick update...
As I mentioned, the NBN Co. tech was booked in for today, Tuesday, 7th.
He never showed up.
But, apparently he tried to call me on a number that comprised of a mixture of both of my 2 phone numbers.
Land line & mobile.
Naturally, he got a "number not found or disconnected" message.

What the....?

I am now re-booked for Thursday morning......or whenever.

Talk about a ballsup.

Arch...
Don't be in such a hurry to get the NBN.
What's that old Scout's saying?
"BE PREPARED."

ps.
&, just to top today off...
Because I wasted all day waiting for them,
I decided to go and do a bit of shopping.
This was at 7.00PM.

I tried to start the car but there was nothing doing, electrical wise.
I checked the battery terminals etc., etc.
Nothing.
I grabbed the DMM & tested the battery voltage.
Result = .65 volts. That is point 65 volts.
Battery is one of those low/no maintenance ones that had a warranty period of 2 years.
Bought in 2011 for $169.00.
Well, the 2 years has long since past. Not a bad run really. :)
Rang the NRMA & had a new 2 year battery installed in quick time & we're good to go, again.
Really nice fella.

All this was done in the rain, with me having to walk up to the Security gate to let him in.
At least I had the car to drive up in & let him out.
What a day!

Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Uhhhh. . . To be completely honest he "pits" up on the poles look just as jumbled as the ones in the ground.
I wonder if you could float the pits and add a temporary cover?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

I hope you aren't serious Grumps.

If they could float the pits, which would be a very difficult thing to accomplish, as they are all concrete with a concrete lid.
Besides which, the cables are not long enough to go much higher than about 1 foot above ground.
ie; Just enough slack to work on.
Not much use when the flood waters reach about 3 feet or more.

Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Old boat trick was to put the terminal strips for low voltage wiring runs in a Tupperware box.
Tupperware made some good sized plastic boxes which would close air and water tight.
We have some here , maybe not Tupperware, big enough to hold the cable junction.
Pass through on the ends could be sealed with RTV or some other sealer on the big cable with the junction inside and the lid snapped on.
For extra safety some rubber or bungee chord straps to keep the lid on.
Wouldn't matter then if the water was over the connections by 6 feet unless that floods your lawn.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Just to add to the conversation re; Floods & your lawn.
In the 30 years I've been residing here, I've/we've been flooded 5 times.
The last on 21st March 2011, reached a height of 3 ½ feet through the Annex & 1 foot through the caravan.
The caravan is just 2 steps higher than the annex.
Lots of others were similarly affected.
Here are 2 YT videos that show the extent of the last one.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNnDCs7uwqw
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu3zXbkPFb0

That damn "bridge" & it's small hole is the major cause.

Anyway, back on subject.
I await in anticipation for the NBN Co. tech/s to show up tomorrow morn.
If in fact they do!

Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

LIMPET235 wrote:Just to add to the conversation re; Floods & your lawn.
In the 30 years I've been residing here, I've/we've been flooded 5 times.
The last on 21st March 2011, reached a height of 3 ½ feet through the Annex & 1 foot through the caravan.
The caravan is just 2 steps higher than the annex.
Not making light of the circumstances but . . .
Watched both videos - the bridge would have had some folks I know breaking out the large inner tubes, kayaks and whatever else they could find.
5 Times in thirty years makes me wonder if finding a nice house boat might not be in order.
Maybe a floating dock for the cars and barbecue grill.
Just make sure you put the anchors out.

I've seen it flood in my local area a couple of times and only once did it reach the street level, normally 30 feet above mean tide.
Waiting for global warming to really kick in so I can have waterfront, home value will triple and I can move somewhere higher, not on a fault-line.

Re-looked at the pillar connection jumble and it could be a good candidate for the Tupperware box, that is if it's not critters scrambling the wiring. Squirrels around here have developed a taste for rubber and plastic. Fun getting a flat miles from home because some wretched fuzz ball was teething.