IE may be hijacking my browser

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Orleon

IE may be hijacking my browser

Post by Orleon »

I have been using Firefox exclusively for years. I opened one of my folders and suddenly a window appeared from IE which asks me to choose 2 options related using IE as my browser. Apparently I am not allowed to exit the window without accepting IE as my browser. Nor can I access or close the folder with the popup over it. At some point in my efforts to dispose of the window, a Dell page appeared also. IE is now on my task bar. I opened my task manager, but find no option to close the IE popup. I want to entirely remove and block IE from my computer. What can I do?
kreemoweet

Re: IE may be hijacking my browser

Post by kreemoweet »

This is not relevant to Firefox. You cannot remove IE, it's part of your Windows OS, but there's nothing in Windows that will make you use it. You need to find a Windows support forum to ask about this problem.
You might be dealing with some sort of malware infection.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

You can't uninstall IE since it's part of the Windows OS, but you can disable it as follows:
  • 1. Go to Windows Control Panel and click "Programs and Features".
    2. In the menu on the left, click "Turn Windows features on and off" to load that dialog box.
    3. Remove the checkmark from Internet Explorer 11.
Also, in Firefox, go to Tools --> Options --> General and make sure that "Always check if Firefox is your default browser" is checkmarked. If you can't see the Tools menu, hit the ALT key.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Mozillazine Tech