Cyber Scrub removes 100's of files, why?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
zorro6204

Post by zorro6204 »

I have everything set in Firefox to save nothing, no history, etc. Yet when I run Cyber Scrub it's erasing a massive number of files, in Firefox and in the profiles folder (applications and settings).

Why should that happen? Is it possible to configure Firefox so that when it shuts down NOTHING is left on the hard disk, not a single trace that it ever ran. Isn't that the way it should be, unless you specifically want some tracks saved?
dfoulkes

Re: Cyber Scrub removes 100's of files, why?

Post by dfoulkes »

zorro6204 wrote:I have everything set in Firefox to save nothing, no history, etc. Yet when I run Cyber Scrub it's erasing a massive number of files, in Firefox and in the profiles folder (applications and settings).

Why should that happen? Is it possible to configure Firefox so that when it shuts down NOTHING is left on the hard disk, not a single trace that it ever ran. Isn't that the way it should be, unless you specifically want some tracks saved?
So, what is it within Firefox do you have set to clear data? ... that would help in giving answers..

Firefox creates and maintains a lot of files in order to run properly ... but those files do not ... or should not contain user data that is a security issue.

About the only way to guarantee that 'zero' user related data is to uninstall Firefox and run a disk cleaner... know what I mean?

Also, if that app. lists the files that it is deleting you might be better off listing what those files are so that people here can point out what exactly they are and if they contain a problem with your security minded thinking.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
zorro6204

Post by zorro6204 »

Every setting I have in options is to the max save nothing mode, zero cache, no history, etc. I clear cookies (just Google typically) every time I start up Firefox, and I use a host file. The files are too many to list, there's two sets, and they flash by in Cyber Scrub pretty fast, one it just describes as Firefox, and then later there's a bunch in applications and settings in the Firefox profiles folders, just long strings of letters and numbers. Microsoft saving everything about your computer use without telling you, that I expect, not Mozilla! Maybe it is the operating system. Anyway, I run Cyber Scrub every day, and most of what it erases is Firefox related.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

And when your scrubbing program deletes something Firefox needs to run you are going to come back here screaming. You seriously need to get a life and clean up your browsing habits if you are so worried about someone finding your dirty laundry
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

There is a simple way to do this.
  1. Make a copy of your "clean" profile to the desktop.
  2. After you have finished your browsing quit FF.
  3. Shred the existing profile using a SW shredder.
  4. Copy the clean profile on your desktop to the FF profile folder
Simple and guaranteed to keep your secrets from family.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

At the end of the day, without some indication as to which files are being removed by Cyber Scrub there is no way for anyone here to answer the "Why" part of your topic subject.
zorro6204

Post by zorro6204 »

"and when your scrubbing program deletes something Firefox needs . . ."

Given I'm using Firefox right now, obviously that isn't an issue. I don't think you'd sell many copies of your cleaning software if it destroyed applications!

I'll check out the suggestion regarding the files.
Nettkrawler

Post by Nettkrawler »

Security?

Well, my answer for that is Firefox portable + Veracrypt + Autohotkey.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I don't think you'd sell many copies of your cleaning software if it destroyed applications!
Tell that to the folks that lost Firefox data to Ccleaner. There are numerous reports on these forums of folks who have to rebuild their Firefox profiles because Ccleaner wiped out files it should not have touched.
zorro6204

Post by zorro6204 »

I suspect then that Cleaner lost same customers. Cyber Scrub is well reviewed and seems to work without any problems, I've been using it for quite awhile.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

zorro6204 wrote:I suspect then that Cleaner lost same customers. Cyber Scrub is well reviewed and seems to work without any problems, I've been using it for quite awhile.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

If you know which files it is removing is it possible they are index related for Windows and not Firefox?
Look at some of the cache and index entries in the Registry before you do a dump and then look afterwards.
Could be it's not Firefox at all but Windows index references.
You can use Regedit (native to Windows) to see or something like Directory Snoop or even a good hex editor.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

Point your Profile (& cache...) to a RAM drive or similar.
Close FF & all traces should go poof.

(Do note that Windows Registry entries would be unaffected, as would other ancillary "tracking" that might go on by virtue of using OS functionality.)

Suppose if you were to run FF in a VM (Virtual Machine) you could get around that too, assuming you dump the VM when you've finished browsing.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
zorro6204

Post by zorro6204 »

Okay, I'll look at some of these ideas. I was just shocked at the volume of material being retained, I thought with my settings that there shouldn't be a slug trail. Blowing all this crap into dust should be an automatic function of the operating system every time it shuts down, unless you specifically select things to retain. But nooooo.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

zorro6204 wrote:Okay, I'll look at some of these ideas. I was just shocked at the volume of material being retained, I thought with my settings that there shouldn't be a slug trail. Blowing all this crap into dust should be an automatic function of the operating system every time it shuts down, unless you specifically select things to retain. But nooooo.
Seems you are making a big ass umption here. You need to answer DanRaisch's question in his initial post.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6