Fedora 25: caution

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Grumpus

Fedora 25: caution

Post by Grumpus »

Installed Fedora 25 with the Gnome desktops over the past weekend on one of the system drives and it seemed to work OK except for the update.
The Gnome-software package appears to be damaged as it goes into a loop or connects for some other use with the servers at Princeton University to the tune of better than a Gb.
Better to just use yum and do the updates listed through a terminal.
Don't even open the gnome-software until you are done with the update listed for yum.
I wound up copying the list of update out of the terminal to the text editor and marked them off with their dependencies as I went along.
The yum update list was about 60Mb and showed for the disc installed about 768MB, you don't have to do them all at once and it is still less than what the gnome-software package was doing.
Disc came from January Linux Pro Magazine, flip side is the latest OpenSUSE which doesn't allow using the existing grub.

Good luck.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Mouse5

Re: Fedora 25: caution

Post by Mouse5 »

i barely use Gnome-Software, it barely works for me. i always an find it easier to use CLI , if you want a GUI , use YUMEX or yumex-dnf
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Thanks for the input, this was my fault for not reading the bug reports.
Also did not prepare things properly and familiarity was only up to Fedora 21 which I'm sorry I dumped in favor of 25, most work was off-line and had to be loaded from the bios as it was an LVM.
Yumex was my goto but isn't available through normal yum channels but it's available through dnf and I have a copy of the package.
Found where all the 1+Gb stuff went to, I really hate Package Kit, loaded all the packages for update but somehow didn't finish.
It was only supposed to be about 765MB but it ran to 1.083Gb, there's a good bit of duplication in the cache which I think was part of the issue with the Princeton servers.
I was able to install some security programs and Thunderbird and update Firefox to current.
I had just updated my ISP service and was looking at upgrading Bodhi and Fedora and possibly playing with a couple of 32bit distros for an older notebook.
My choice is to forge ahead and lose a month's worth of time and bandwidth or scrooge the rest of the month, which I may do to finish some honey-do's and a special project.
Might seem trite but I do everything I can to dump CLI as it seems to cause problems, doesn't seem to be necessary, everything works without it.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

This is just a test to see what hits the fan. ;)

There is also some form of auto update notification which is normal but I haven't found the controls yet.
Got Yumex installed and some other helpful small programs.

Looking for more specific answers for control of automatic features it appears there are "turn off" features for DNF, unfortunately the default appears to be everything on. It takes a while to find these things so a novice or someone unfamiliar with Fedora 25 may have some difficulty.
I had been using Fedora 21 for a few years but it had been KDE and most of these settings were immediate available in the update settings.
Fedora, IMO, should stick with Yum and Yumex or dnf and loose the gnome software package. It's similar to the AWS adfest of Ubuntu.
Look under /etc/dnf/dnf.conf for some of the settings.
Yumex install also required a couple of other dnf files which are not available on the live CD/DVD.
Load is small.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Yum is/was Dead for Years, 1 of the best Yum Devs Died, that being ( Seth Vidal ) an problem was with Yum it really wasnt compatible with python3 , so it had to be forked , to findout how to do it do this in Terminasl ( man dnf ) or read its wiki, Fedora really isnt for Beginners. i'd suggest you use Mag5 or download Mag6
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

-Arch- wrote:Fedora really isnt for Beginners.
LOL =D> .. Vorsicht !

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@-Arch- One thing which is wrong and should be addressed, whether a beginner or experienced user is the automatic update and download and the inability to stop it.
It seems to be an oversight. Gnome-software has been removed and for the most part all updates have been successful.
I did find some local file install commands which helped to install packages.
Updates appear to be moving along very rapidly and repository selection and controls for the checking, downloading and installation are better in the update dnf through Yumex.

@mightyglydd - shouldn't this be applied elsewhere? [-(
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Something to note with Fedora after doing a kernel update in the Grub menu when multibooting.
Usually the boot order for Mint or Ubuntu require only a simple sudo update-grub command from a terminal in the OS you want and newer kernels are shown in top down order.
The sequence or order of the boot list usually show the prime, secondary and the tertiary OS's, etc.
But the order shown in Grub for Fedora (I noted this in 21 as well as 25) is the reverse of the other system items.
When selecting the advanced item below the main OS name, using the "e" for edit function shows the kernel version and helps with the selection until a proper edit can be performed.
I've tried edit in the past and made a mess of it but thought it might be some help to know how to identify the proper version for boot
(esc) allows a return to the list.