log my internet availability

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
pete of ebor

log my internet availability

Post by pete of ebor »

I've been having sporadic outages on my internet connection. These usually only last a few mins. I get a red light on router implying no internet conmnecton. Whilst they my be only short outages, they are annoying when you're in the middle of something. What I would like is a program/app I can install which will check my connection frequently, and log the result so I have some evidence to show to my ISP when I complain. Anyone know of any such program or app ? I'm currently running 2 pcs - one with Win 10 and other with Linux Lubuntu. I'd prefer it on the Linux machine if possible, but either would do.
LIMPET235

Re: log my internet availability

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Pete,
I just found this neato, free program a few months ago, when I was experiencing almost constant, 15 Minute drop outs.
Does exactly what it states on the tin.
Has a couple of options, such as voice instead of sound or nothing,
plus it has monitoring as well. Saves as a .txt file.

Becker Games > http://www.beckergames.com/
& go to > Internet Connection Notification

Mike has just updated it to re-size the dimensions of the "Ping a site" display.
(You couldn't scroll to the bottom of the original, extremely tall display. Now it's squarish, with a scroll bar.)
Killed off a few of the Dead sites as well.

Mike was very quick to do the mods.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

A quick search turned up a few options for you:
https://netuptimemonitor.com/
http://download.cnet.com/Internet-Conne ... 32247.html
http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/download

Some may be just free trial versions with time limitations. Be careful when downloading anything from CNet.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

You could also open the syslog or kernel log or maybe even a couple of other logs which will give specifics beyond most add-ons.
Use Gedit, Kate, Kwrite , Pluma or what ever text editor you have and open a terminal and start the editor with the simple sudo (editor name)
Input your administrator password and go to /var/log - there are logs of just about everything.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

It's also worth rebooting the router i.e. remove the power cord, wait a couple of minutes and then reconnect it.

In addition to that, do the following:
  • 1. Hit Windows key + X and click Device Manager.
    2. Expand the tree to Network Adapters and then right click the wireless adapter and go to Properties.
    3. Click the Power Management tab and then remove the checkmark from the box where it reads: "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power".
This will prevent Windows 10 from turning the wireless adapter off if it 'thinks' it's no longer being used.

I don't know if something like that is available in Linux though.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Sometimes a break in connection with the router could come from region being not set properly or the power management for the router changed in the system.
Turning off power management for the router in some Linux systems if there was no device recognition in the system power management GUI.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you