Computer Screen Goes Black because of Browser

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
spilparc

Computer Screen Goes Black because of Browser

Post by spilparc »

...Or so I was told by customer support at Lenovo. I have a brand new gaming computer and the screen has gone black about six times now. It's not shut off, but I have to reboot to get things up and running again.

So, today, I called them and the guy had me do a little digging...prefetch and msinfo32...and he said I have a lot of files that shouldn't be there because of advertising etc. on my browsers.

If you hold down the Windows Key + R and type in msinfo32--then click on software environment/system drivers and then look under the state column there are things that are running and some that are stopped.

Apparently they are all supposed to be running (or stopped) I can't remember which, and his suggestion was to purchase something like TrackOff to stop the unwanted intrusions that are causing havoc with my drivers.

Needless to say, I have never heard of any of this so I thought I would ask your opinions.

Thanks

By the way, I have never had this problem on my old computer.

[I have McAfee anti virus and I'm running UBlock Origin on Firefox]

https://www.trackoff.com/en
Reflective

Re: Computer Screen Goes Black because of Browser

Post by Reflective »

See this Lenovo troubleshooting site for black screen issues on Windows 10: https://support.lenovo.com/nl/en/solutions/ht501294

As regards TrackOff, that's just Internet security software and won't help you with the black screen problem. Judging by your experience with Lenovo support, I don't think he knows what he's talking about and was just trying to fob you off. I have 124 system drivers running on my Windows 8.1 machine, but they don't cause any problems.

Try doing the following if you don't get anywhere with the support site suggestions.
  • 1.Hit Windows key + X to open the power users menu and click the option called Command Prompt (Admin)
    2. At the prompt, type: sfc /scannow and hit Enter. This will launch System File Checker to check for corruption.
If you see a message that Windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them, copy/paste the following command into the same command prompt window and hit Enter: DISM.exe/Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth When you copy/paste into a command prompt you have to use the right click and then paste option. If you want to type it instead, make sure you get the spaces in right place otherwise you'll get an error message.

When DISM runs you won't see much happening on screen and for about 10 minutes all you'll see is a flashing cursor. But eventually you'll see the figure 20% appear followed about 10 minutes later by 100%. You'll also get a report to tell you whether the corruption was fixed or not.
spilparc

Post by spilparc »

Reflective wrote:See this Lenovo troubleshooting site for black screen issues on Windows 10: https://support.lenovo.com/nl/en/solutions/ht501294

As regards TrackOff, that's just Internet security software and won't help you with the black screen problem. Judging by your experience with Lenovo support, I don't think he knows what he's talking about and was just trying to fob you off. I have 124 system drivers running on my Windows 8.1 machine, but they don't cause any problems.

Try doing the following if you don't get anywhere with the support site suggestions.
  • 1.Hit Windows key + X to open the power users menu and click the option called Command Prompt (Admin)
    2. At the prompt, type: sfc /scannow and hit Enter. This will launch System File Checker to check for corruption.
If you see a message that Windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them, copy/paste the following command into the same command prompt window and hit Enter: DISM.exe/Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth When you copy/paste into a command prompt you have to use the right click and then paste option. If you want to type it instead, make sure you get the spaces in right place otherwise you'll get an error message.

When DISM runs you won't see much happening on screen and for about 10 minutes all you'll see is a flashing cursor. But eventually you'll see the figure 20% appear followed about 10 minutes later by 100%. You'll also get a report to tell you whether the corruption was fixed or not.
Thanks, I didn't do everything in your list, but I did run the system file checker and it found no problems.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Mozillazine Tech