Mozilla execs clash over whether Firefox has a future

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Kevin McFarlane

Mozilla execs clash over whether Firefox has a future

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

"Calling Google "too big for its britches," the lead marketing official at Mozilla last week belittled browser rival Chrome as domineering and implored users to give his company's Firefox another try.

In response, a former Mozilla chief technology officer argued that Firefox is "declining unsustainably" even after Mozilla reenergized Firefox development.

Chrome is not evil, it's just too big for its britches," wrote Eric Petitt, Mozilla's director of product marketing
mightyglydd

Re: Mozilla execs clash over whether Firefox has a future

Post by mightyglydd »

What do you think would happen if the director of product marketing for Ford showed up daily in the parking lot driving a Toyota !?
I'd imagine someone would put a torch to it.
I head up Firefox marketing, but I use Chrome every day
Is that Mozilla guy bonkers, how does he still have a job ?

@"Browse against the machine is a renewed posture for Firefox" .. Really! I wondered if Tom Morello had renamed Rage Against the Machine.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mightyglydd wrote:
I head up Firefox marketing, but I use Chrome every day
Is that Mozilla guy bonkers, how does he still have a job ?
Because he is far from the only one there doing the same. Then we have the situation that 95% of Mozilla screenshots you ever see are done using a Mac. The same Macs that are supplied to offset on the accounts as equipment expenditure. Meantime, 85%+ of the userbase are using Windows.

The situation is akin to the old days of US sitcom writers, endlessly churning out dross on the basis of 'I think it's rubbish, but the punters will love it'.

Without personal commitment, there can never be real quality or excellence or even attempt to reach either. Simply because it doesn't personally affect them.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

interesting coming from a Mozilla Director ., guess they'll findout if Mozilla Firefox has a Future once 57 comes out
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

Kevin McFarlane wrote:
In response, a former Mozilla chief technology officer argued that Firefox is "declining unsustainably" even after Mozilla reenergized Firefox development.
That view is here: https://andreasgal.com/2017/05/25/chrome-won/