Delete Key - Linux (Solved)

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Grumpus

Delete Key - Linux (Solved)

Post by Grumpus »

When doing a lot of line by line deletions where the items to be removed have no set pattern, are sporadic in the listings or no similarities it would be nice to have a delete key on the left side of the keyboard.
This is not a new issue but is there any kind of suggestion other than a left handed keyboard which may help.
Have looked for a key re-assignment or modifier but it does not list delete anywhere to do this on the system.
Considered double key but then it interferes with other process'.
Any thoughts appreciated Including melting the side of the keyboard and wiring in another small key pad. :roll:
Last edited by Grumpus on July 8th, 2017, 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
LIMPET235

Re: Delete Key - Linux

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Grumps,
Maybe make up a small metal or plastic (non flexible) plate to hold a separate, single Delete button/key
which you either buy or rob from an old keyboard
& fit it in the plate (press fit) which you attach (screw/glue/weld etc.,) to wherever is convenient on the LHS of the keyboard.
Then, just wire the new button/key directly across (In parallel) with the original Delete key.
Probably take about 20 or 30 Mins to complete.
Easy peasy.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Thanks, I'll take down the keyboard and see what I can get away with.
Never worked on a keyboard before, will have to get the proper side of the numlock other wise I'll just be making dots(periods). :)
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Grumps,
Key Boards are easy to take apart.
Just don't remove any of the key BUTTONS. Take a piccie...JIC.
You mentioned the NUMLOCK key. Why?
Just solder (that's solder, with an L), the 2 new key/switch wires in parallel with the DELETE key.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Limpet235 - This keyboard has the delete key in the number group so numlock changes the delete key to a "."
@malliz - plenty of Walmarts handy plus I have a couple of older keyboards to play with, nothing like learning something.
Thank you both.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Grumps,
From an electrical view point, wherever the Delete key is located should not have any bearing
on the functioning of a new, external key/button/switch that's wired in parallel.
The new/external one will just exhibit the same function.

Is this correct, malliz?

Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Limpet235 - Found an old keypad for a cannibalized stat camera. I may experiment with one of the other keyboards before messing this one up. #-o
amrad

Post by amrad »

There are two delete keys, one is in the numbers' group, the other is in the navigation group, which does not change with the Num Lock key. Connect the additional delete key in parallel with the navigation group delete key.

Regards,

Dave.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@amrad - thank you, makes sense. I use the nav key group so little I forgot it was there.
I use the nav keys in the number group mostly.
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello Grumpus,
Grumpus wrote:@amrad - thank you, makes sense. I use the nav key group so little I forgot it was there.
I use the nav keys in the number group mostly.
You're welcome, glad I could be of some help.

Regards,

Dave.
Grumpus

Re: Delete Key - Linux (Solved)

Post by Grumpus »

After opening several keyboards and seeing they have screen printed circuitry on plastic sheet and really not wanting to mess with it I've decided to make a mechanical finger on a connecting rod through several pivot points on the front of the keyboard with the actuating finger on the left. Seems simpler for some reason. Will mount on the front edge and requires no change in programming or wiring. Might be able to keep it unobtrusive across main frontage Have plenty of small rod material, small screws and miniature bearings shouldn't take too long, (next month maybe) will post pictures.