Slow Typing in Nightly

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
JodyThornton

Slow Typing in Nightly

Post by JodyThornton »

Hi Folks:

What happens is when I type a message in a text input box, I don't see what I've type until about five to six seconds has gone by. This happens on any Gecko browser. I'm using Nightly 56, but the same symptom shows up in Firefox (release), K-Meleon and and a couple others.

The symptom is NOT exhibited in Vivaldi.

If you go to this classified ad page: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-stereo-systems- ... nFlag=true

On the mid-right, click on the box that reads "Hi, I'm interested! Please contact me if this is still available." Erase what's there and pretend to respond to the ad by typing something. If I type two or three line, it takes FOREVER to show up. This only happens on Kijiji (the classified site), and on a Gecko browser?

I've cleared cache and reinstalled from scratch, but no improvements have revealed themselves.
:(
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
DanRaisch

Re: Slow Typing in Nightly

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to MozillaZine Tech as it is reportedly happening in multiple browsers.
Frenzie

Post by Frenzie »

Wouldn't it make more sense to report this to the website in question?
Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

Well I did mention halfway down that it was kijiji.ca, and posted a link for an example. That may have assisted if it was to do with the site's software package for form entry. But I noticed it didn't happen in Chromium-type browsers. And I've tried other Gecko browsers on not only my system, but work PCs as well. So I thought I'd start there.

Even the same issue on a Puppy Linux system.
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
sarifriathesylveon

Post by sarifriathesylveon »

I can confirm I experience the same issues with http://www.facebook.com . as i use a custom compiled version i thought perhaps i was at fault, however it appears not.
Frenzie

Post by Frenzie »

JodyThornton wrote:Well I did mention halfway down that it was kijiji.ca, and posted a link for an example. That may have assisted if it was to do with the site's software package for form entry. But I noticed it didn't happen in Chromium-type browsers. And I've tried other Gecko browsers on not only my system, but work PCs as well. So I thought I'd start there.
It also happens in Edge. Probably a Chromium bug. :P
sarifriathesylveon

Post by sarifriathesylveon »

Frenzie wrote:
JodyThornton wrote:Well I did mention halfway down that it was kijiji.ca, and posted a link for an example. That may have assisted if it was to do with the site's software package for form entry. But I noticed it didn't happen in Chromium-type browsers. And I've tried other Gecko browsers on not only my system, but work PCs as well. So I thought I'd start there.
It also happens in Edge. Probably a Chromium bug. :P
please pay attention to what people say.
JodyThornton wrote:I noticed it didn't happen in Chromium-type browsers.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

sarifriathesylveon, you're assuming that Frenzie misread or didn't read what JodyThorton posted. It's equally possible that they had a different result when trying to use Edge.
Frenzie

Post by Frenzie »

sarifriathesylveon wrote:please pay attention to what people say.
JodyThornton wrote:I noticed it didn't happen in Chromium-type browsers.
The slow-typing issue occurs in Edge and Firefox. My half-joking interpretation of this (hence the ":P" smiley) is that the website is probably coded against a Chromium bug. That is, if the presumed Chromium bug were fixed it'd probably also exhibit the slow-typing behavior.

The alternative explanation that both Gecko and Edge share the exact same bug is statistically less likely. Anyway, for someone who cares, like the website developers, it shouldn't be too hard to sort out where the issue originates.
Last edited by Frenzie on August 1st, 2017, 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Tried what was suggested and typing was realtime, no lag or delay if that helps any.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Frenzie

Post by Frenzie »

Grumpus wrote:Tried what was suggested and typing was realtime, no lag or delay if that helps any.
The slow typing is caused either directly or indirectly by one of the scripts from classistatic.com (unfortunately that doesn't narrow it down too much). On my reasonably fast computer the delay isn't very noticeable. Some quick profiling shows that handling the "input" event can take up to a whopping 150 ms or so to process.

Edit: that event seems to be handled by the ReactEventListener, some Facebook JS library. That seems to tie things up, but I can't be bothered to go beyond this cursory five minute investigation. Let them fix it.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

Thanks for everyone's help. I did a complete reinstall of Windows for reasons other than this, and it still happens. I will live with it, since it's site specific.
Thanks All!
:)
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

I can recommend taking profile with Gecko Profiler - https://perf-html.io/ and reporting issue on Bugzilla,
post back bug number.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.