Windows 10 Auto start Thunderbird

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
dcol

Windows 10 Auto start Thunderbird

Post by dcol »

No matter what I do I cannot auto start Thunderbird with Windows 10. I tried every known start location, Start Folder, registry, Task Scheduler, Startup Delayer, Autorun Organizer, even wrote a batch file to start Thunderbird and use that instead of the actual executable. I can manually run Thunderbird without any issues.

Why won't Thunderbird auto start?

Using Windows 10.15063.632 Pro x64 on a Dell Optiplex 7050
jamo2

Re: Windows 10 Auto start Thunderbird

Post by jamo2 »

It is not a good Idea to start TB in the Autostart of Windows

A better way to start TB automatically is to create a CMD Job like this:

Start "Thunderbird" "c:\?????????\thunderbird.exe"
timeout 10

Give a name to this file and put it in the autostart folder... (name by example compmgr.cmd)

With this kind of batch job you can also start other programs.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to MozillaZine Tech as this is not really a Thunderbird bug issue.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

jamo2 wrote:It is not a good Idea to start TB in the Autostart of Windows

A better way to start TB automatically is to create a CMD Job like this:

Start "Thunderbird" "c:\?????????\thunderbird.exe"
timeout 10

Give a name to this file and put it in the autostart folder... (name by example compmgr.cmd)

With this kind of batch job you can also start other programs.
I quite agree, a delay for Thunderbird is a good idea, because thunderbird (and startup in particular) is IO intensive and sensitive. I'd make it even longer - 30-60 seconds delay.

However, I don't know of any reason why TB startup would have failed in this case.
jamo2

Post by jamo2 »

@wsmwk "However, I don't know of any reason why TB startup would have failed in this case." perhaps an other Startup programm create a conflict ...

We use now very often a cmd Job in the autostart to start some programms after the Windows start .. then we can kill the job before he start the first program and we can ask for each program ... start XXX y/n and select with this the start of all these programms. It is also possible to ask start all or start only selected.

On Notebooks we have some settings in a veracrypt Container (by example access informations to our domains) ... we use this cmd file also to open the container. (the cmd ask for the password opens the container with the settings). When the container is mounted, the cmd job opens also some programs like the autostart but after that the ordinary autostart is done.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

A delayed autostart in Task Scheduler should have been more than enough to run TB at login.
PennsyNut

Post by PennsyNut »

I don't know enough to tell you anything intelligent. However. I will say: Tb is a slow starter in my W 10. When I start up, and click Chrome, it almost pops off the screen. When I click Firefox, it's a little slower. When I click any of my files, they are next. And Tb is the last window to open. And I'm not smart enough to know where the problem lies. So, if I click on Tb first, and click on all those others next, they are all open before Tb = always the last. This is FYI.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

> I'd make it even longer - 30-60 seconds delay.

I must have been on drugs - better choice would be 2-3 minutes.
jamo2

Post by jamo2 »

@dcol This kind of problems comes up some times on to W10 upgraded Systems. Please have a look to c:\Users\---username ---\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ it is possible that this folder does not exist ... then Windows 10 can not start auto-start programs
philiptdotcom

Post by philiptdotcom »

I have the same issue--and thanks for the discussion.

"A delayed autostart in Task Scheduler" looks like the perfect solution for me. I understand this conceptually, but I have virtually no experience setting up anything in Task Scheduler (Win10).

Could some kind, patient soul please walk me through this stepwise?

Thanks so much!

Aloha,
Philip T.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

philiptdotcom

Post by philiptdotcom »

tanstaafl wrote:See <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.maketecheasier.com/start-sc ... m/start-sc ... y-windows/</a><!-- m -->
@tanstaafl: Thank you!! -pt