Why is everyone becoming Anti-Ad-block?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
That Random Guy

Why is everyone becoming Anti-Ad-block?

Post by That Random Guy »

I know this isn't recent news or anything, but I'm really starting to wonder why this is even a thing.

I get that maintaining a website isn't free and that fees apply, but why are these folk so hell-bent on getting people to disable ad-block?

The whole point of us using it is so that we don't have to suffer through their ads.

Personally, they could be throwing money at me in one of them and I wouldn't care. They're distracting, detract from the site, and ruin the entire browsing experience for me.

It was bad enough years ago when you'd get those pop ups, but it's still not any better now with those audio-based ones. Granted, those come muted by default most of the time, I get the occasional scare.

It seems to me that the people running the show don't care about whether or not I actually look at their damn ads but rather just the fact that they're there on the page. That way, they can get some numbers saying, "here, we can guarantee you this many people looked at your friggin' ad"--even though you and I both know that's not the case. As long as the premise of the ads being visible is maintained, they can justify to their "sponsors" and "investors" of their benefit. Otherwise, they're just robbing money away.

It would certainly defeat the point of having them there if no one looked at them, but why punish us for willfully removing ourselves from those hindrances/benefits?

At the end of the day, I want to browse the web without seeing ads for crap I'm just not gonna want to bother looking at. Why block me?

To me, that's a very backwards way of thinking and actually does the opposite of what they want. I've stopped visiting 2-3 sites already just for the fact that they block me for having ad-block. :roll:

Why turn away people who want to see your content and nothing but your content? I fail to see how that's a big deal. I doubt everyone on this planet is using an ad blocker. That initial premise still holds true for the most part, but not everyone is going to be watching. Doesn't matter anyway since they probably can't tell if they've seen the ad or not. It's an endless loop of bullshit.

And, yes, I know there's an anti anti-ad-block out there. I've tried it, but it didn't work for a particular site I watch streams on. May Adobe's Flash Player burn in hell. :twisted:

TL;DR:
I fail to see how blocking a minority who are willfully resigning themselves from adverts as a logical solution.

In the end, they will fall entirely because people will just stop visiting their site and instead go to another where the content is similar but less restrictive on ad-blockers.

Google was smart by not forcing the removal of ad-blockers on their desktop site. Someone would probably just fork the site and offer the same junk with no ads. Like, DailyMotion or Vimeo.
BruceAWittmeier

Re: Why is everyone becoming Anti-Ad-block?

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

I agree. Just as bad are the sites that want you to submit your email address for their News Letters -- they just won't stop.

And I say "Thank God for the mute button on the remote control".
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
Omega X

Re: Why is everyone becoming Anti-Ad-block?

Post by Omega X »

Let them get angry. I chose what I want to see on my screen and in my browser any day of the week 24/7.