after Linux kernel update - FF > 45.9 no longer start

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Lunar

after Linux kernel update - FF > 45.9 no longer start

Post by Lunar »

Hi.
It's been a while since I've had a problem I couldn't figure out, but here I am, asking for your help once more.

Until now, I've been able to start any version of FF downloaded and un-archived to a directory. This is,,, was useful to try them out, edit/rebuild 'addons' and edit my theme for the upcoming and inevitable 'change' being forced on us. but, enough venting...

I'm using openSuse (13.2 w leap42.2 updates) and KDE4 as I (more venting) HATE kf5 (plasma5)! anyways,
  • I updated the kernel.. don't know why, but I did.
  • openSuse went form 'kernel-desktop' to kernel-default [plus] kernel-firmware
    and a few 'patches' installed, like libgtk3 and a few ??? others.
  • After rebooting I can No longer start Any 'user' version of Firefox > 45.9esr, Except for the opensuse 'hacked' version installed by 'system' (using yast2 or zypper / update or mozilla repo), currently 52.[x] esr
starting (attempting to) Firefox 52.x & > from terminal gives me Gtk errors / warnings.
example:
head:

Code: Select all

(firefox:2450): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:81:10: The 'engine' property is ignored

(firefox:2450): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <data>:56:13: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
tail:

Code: Select all

(firefox:1846): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:116:33: The style property GtkWidget:focus-line-width is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore.
with many of the 'head' type 'gtk-warning's repeated many times in between.

Any ideas?
Landis.

ps, the flawed 'wisdom' of opensuse has lead them to Remove all pre-leap repos, so reinstalling kernel-desktop and earlier gtk3 libs or any part of kde4 is not possible.
I could install from week old system partition backup or distro DVD but there are no 'patch' sources between there and here, so I'd be in this same boat with first update.
'Microsucks' made me nuts, Linux is making me crazy...
...at least with Linux, I can afford the therapy.. : )
openSuSE | KDE | enlightenment | mozilla Aurora 55 / Nightly 106 Konqueror /Opera/ Aurora Dev Ed | Now, down to Firefox 45 52 ESR as the 'new' direction... sxxxs!
smsmith

Re: after Linux kernel update - FF > 45.9 no longer start

Post by smsmith »

I suspect you don't have the proper version of GTK+ or some other library installed.

According to this page, Fx 45 needed GTK+ 2.18 or higher.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/4 ... uirements/

But this page shows Fx 46 needed GTK+ 3.4:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/4 ... uirements/

This isn't a Fx Builds problem. Moving to Tech.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Lunar

Re: after Linux kernel update - FF > 45.9 no longer start

Post by Lunar »

Thanks,

so, it seems All my 'requirements' are met.
I was using FF > 52 up until yesterday when I 'updated' my opensuse kernel from kernel-desktop to kernel-default [plus] kernel-firmware.

My current installed versions, per above (@smsmith) link:
Gtk3-data : 3.20.10-5.61
Gtk3-tools : 3.20.9-1.2
libGtk3-0 : 3.20.9-1.2
Glib : 2.22-4.91
libPango-1_0-0 : 1.36.8-1.2
Pango-tools : 1.36.8-1.2
xorg-x11-server : 7.6_1.18.3-12.26.1
libstdc++6 : 4.8.3+....

Any Ideas?
Landis.
'Microsucks' made me nuts, Linux is making me crazy...
...at least with Linux, I can afford the therapy.. : )
openSuSE | KDE | enlightenment | mozilla Aurora 55 / Nightly 106 Konqueror /Opera/ Aurora Dev Ed | Now, down to Firefox 45 52 ESR as the 'new' direction... sxxxs!