Firefox vs Brave

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Tomatoshadow2

Firefox vs Brave

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has used the Brave browser here, and if you have, why have you stuck with Firefox? Thanks so much.
Tomatoshadow2

Re: Firefox vs Brave

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

and to the moderators that I always appreciate, no promotion is intended, just trying to find out if other users have used the browser, sorry if I posted in the wrong area.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to MozillaZine Tech as this is not really a Firefox matter.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Thanks Dan, my apologies.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I switched from Firefox to Vivaldi instead. It's also based on Chrome. I'm using just the privacy badger, ublock origin and "click&clean" add-ons. Click&clean is configured to automatically run when I close the browser.

I had previously experimented with Cliqz, a Firefox based "anti-tracking browser with a pro-privacy built-in ‘quick search’ feature" from Germany that Mozilla invested in. It didn't work as well as using add-ons for privacy/ad blocking, though it was more convenient. So I didn't want to try one with built-in ad blocking that supports you (optionally) donating money to web sites you visit, and proxies all searches through the firm’s own servers. Articles such as https://www.techworld.com/security/best ... s-3246550/ claim Brave is one of the most secure browsers available but it seemed like there were too many things that could go wrong. Brave's web site claims "Brave is 2 times faster than Chrome on desktop." but performance had never been that big an issue for me. What got me originally interested in moving off of Firefox was its poor rendering, and Mozilla's mismanagement.

There are lots of good solutions for ad blocking. Privacy/preventing tracking seems trickier. I had used a VPN for a while (PureVPN) but found it caused too many hassles. It's split tunneling feature never worked (I wanted to prevent Thunderbird from using the VPN as outlook.com and gmail kept complaining somebody stole my password). I may try Mulvad someday, based on https://thatoneprivacysite.net/2017/10/ ... ad-review/
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Thanks tanstaafl for your comment, always appreciated. I've loved Brave ever since I've started using it, and the dev team is always working to improve build after build. I still like testing Nightly once and a while. I would use Vivaldi more, but on Mac, very hard to create separate profiles for snapshot release and stable release.