Strange behaviour on local disk when downloading a file

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
minusatwelfth

Strange behaviour on local disk when downloading a file

Post by minusatwelfth »

I am trying to download directly to an external hdd, and I have noticed strange behaviour.

I'm on windows 8.1. Let's say I have 500mb of free space left on my local disk and wish to download a 1gb file from a web browser. So I click 'Save As' and choose the external hdd. Now as I check file explorer, I do see a partial file appearing on the external hdd, but the free space on my local disk is rapidly dropping. At the same rate as the download speed... Eventually the free local space becomes zero and the download just pauses at halfway. When I try again and clear 1gb of free local space, the download completes then the free space is restored to 1gb again, instantly, and the downloaded file is on the external.

So it seems like it's just downloading to the local disk first, then moving the file to the external (at an insane speed). This a problem, because if I want to download a bigger file, it'll be very hard to clear up space as my local disk is only 22gb, and space is always tight there. So essentially, the 'save as' feature is kind of meaningless? I've tried with IE, firefox and chrome, and the same weird behaviour occurs. Though it doesn't happen when I download with utorrent for some reason, or with other programs.

I've also tried looking in the 'Temporary Internet Files' directory to see if any large files were being written, and they weren't. I've also tried changing that directory to somewhere on the external hdd, but the strange behaviour still occurs.

What's going on? Is this normal? If so, Is there a way to bypass it like with other programs?

Any feedback will be appreciated
LIMPET235

Re: Strange behaviour on local disk when downloading a file

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to the Tech. forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

'Temporary Internet Files'
is only used from internet explorer and programs which uses IE internally - never firefox.

if you have space issues deploy another default download folder in firefox settings - simple as that.
or turn on option "ask everytime..." to change folder - that folder is stored for the offering domain.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... es-firefox

there is nothing strange...
minusatwelfth

Post by minusatwelfth »

Brummelchen wrote:
'Temporary Internet Files'
is only used from internet explorer and programs which uses IE internally - never firefox.

if you have space issues deploy another default download folder in firefox settings - simple as that.
or turn on option "ask everytime..." to change folder - that folder is stored for the offering domain.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... es-firefox

there is nothing strange...
Thanks for the reply. I've tried for the equivalent directories for Firefox. I was just speaking broadly when referring to 'Temporary Internet Files'. Anyway, I also have tried the method you stated and it doesn't work either. It still downloads to the local disk first
Last edited by minusatwelfth on February 4th, 2018, 4:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
minusatwelfth

Post by minusatwelfth »

malliz wrote:Maybe try shifting the system temp file to the external HD
https://www.howtogeek.com/285710/how-to ... her-drive/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xNjcR5yb7A
Thanks, I'll try this soon and post back.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

close Firefox, rename permissions.sqlite to permissions_sqlite.old and start Firefox again and download. ofc you have to chose the right folder - see above.
if that wont help it may possible you profile is damaged, how ever. i can not confirm your issue, may default download folder is not the default in a new profile. so it is possible and possible for other downloads.
minusatwelfth

Post by minusatwelfth »

Brummelchen wrote:close Firefox, rename permissions.sqlite to permissions_sqlite.old and start Firefox again and download. ofc you have to chose the right folder - see above.
if that wont help it may possible you profile is damaged, how ever. i can not confirm your issue, may default download folder is not the default in a new profile. so it is possible and possible for other downloads.
By 'choosing the right folder', are you just referring to the downloads directory in settings and the 'save as' option in the popup window on download?. Because these two things were obvious to me, and I thought was common knowledge and I have already tried those common methods.

I'll try the renaming thing, though right now I'm using a portable Firefox so it might be a bit different
minusatwelfth

Post by minusatwelfth »

Brummelchen wrote:close Firefox, rename permissions.sqlite to permissions_sqlite.old and start Firefox again and download. ofc you have to chose the right folder - see above.
I did as you said and renamed that file, and still it didn't work. Could you please elaborate on your last sentence?
minusatwelfth

Post by minusatwelfth »

malliz wrote:Maybe try shifting the system temp file to the external HD
https://www.howtogeek.com/285710/how-to ... her-drive/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xNjcR5yb7A
It didn't work. :cry: I followed those instructions and set them to D:\Temp on the external drive.

Still rapidly dropping free space on C:\ and when I cancel the download, the space gets restored.
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

Have you ever cleaned out your other temp folder? In my experience, much more goes there than to C:\Windows\Temp. The default temp folder on Win8.1 should be either C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache or C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Temp. Navigate to them, delete all that can be deleted, and try again.