Linux Compatible external CD/DVD (Unicorn)

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Grumpus

Linux Compatible external CD/DVD (Unicorn)

Post by Grumpus »

I've been searching for a week or so and to no avail.
Anyone knowing a specific Linux compatible external cd/dvd with read write ability please let me know.
A number of the posts on Linux pages show compatibility but most seem to only have MS/Mac set up software and fail.
Have purchased and return LG and Pioneer so far, both supposed to work but didn't.
Machine sees the discs but doesn't allow Linux Live CDs to be read.
Last edited by Grumpus on June 19th, 2018, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Grumpus

Re: Linux Compatible external CD/DVD RW

Post by Grumpus »

Thought maybe a "Why" might help -
Wanted to test a couple of other Linux OSs and there's no CD.
I followed the instructions for a copy of the CD to a USB stick and two of the three OSs opened like a live CD should but the third system wouldn't play nice.
It was suggested there was a way to fool the third system with some intramfs chicanery but I've been wanting an external CD/DVD for a while.
Most of the ads on line do not state explicitly the CD/DVD is Linux compatible, mostly MS or Mac and I'm finding nothing remarking compatibility from user comments.
Probably why there's been so many views of this post without comment. :-k
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
allande

Post by allande »

Some maybe bad news - a lot of computers, depending on how old the bios is and its features, do not boot from external cd drives. One workaround, if you still have a floppy drive, is to use a boot floppy - some distros still provide one that then lets you boot the cd. Also, there are at least 3 different methods to burn a cd making it bootable , and if they work or not depends again on the bios. For me what has happened is that a computer that plays nice with external drives will boot from most linux cds with almost any external drive, and the computers that won't, they didn't work with any of the ones I tried.

I am only referring to booting from linux cds - I have not tried to write to any disks from linux with external drives.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

The machine in question is Dell Inspirion Notebook 64bit with current updated kernels for Ubuntu 14.04.5.
The notebook sees the two external drives, purchased and returned.
When loading the install disc the laptop and Linux system see the file tree, unfortunately the disc is Windows only.
The Linux live CDs in those particular external CD/DVDs just spin as do any other Linux formatted discs.
Doesn't have any issues with USB sticks.
Grumpus

Re: Linux Compatible external CD/DVD (Unicorn)

Post by Grumpus »

Tried a Verbatim Nero this morning. Partial function, no good without settings.
Sees, reads disc but no write, doesn't like the system in general.

P.S: The Verbatim required two usb ports - used a multi-port (6) as the Inspirion only has 2 ports and the mouse takes up one.
Did not have any power issues.