Beware the three monkeys (tinfoil, maybe not)

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Grumpus

Beware the three monkeys (tinfoil, maybe not)

Post by Grumpus »

Anyone using a desktop or laptop computer online these days sees the connections available when they turn on the wifi.
Usually these are simple names, sometimes a persons first initials, sometimes a ham radio call sign and any number of character/number organizations. But have you seen the three icons, three obscure selections from the symbols character map or in this case, the three monkeys; hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil?
What's interesting about this one is the curiosity factor. Normally the available connections are very readable but on some systems it's difficult to determine what the three bug looking things are in the list due to size. Not seeing this draws your attention to see what the properties or other information is and what you find is a completely open, unprotected and accessible network ready and connected if you are so bold to click. It's interesting to see the connection information, no security, open to anyone. No description or limits on ipv4 and ipv6, no password needed for the connection. Just the three monkey icons in the list.

Do not click to see, it is fly paper, once touched, you are stuck. If you are inexperienced a network connection is established using the three monkeys from the character set. It is very likely setup this way to gain access to systems used by inexperienced operators curious about the icons.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
lovemyfoxy

Re: Beware the three monkeys (tinfoil, maybe not)

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Could it be that a certain brand of router uses those 3 icons to indicate an exposed network?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It's hard to figure out what it was other than it was like flypaper and tried to hold the connection.
There was a large drug bust in my general vicinity and another possibly related not to far and it may very well be what I've suspected, someone running a form of Stingray, the news intimated taps and surveillance had been for over 8 months..
Otherwise, being a fine folder of exotic and rare form tinfoil I'm thinking a neighbor or student wanting to see if the characters can supplant numbers and letters . . . but from a smart phone.
I'm constantly seeing strange changes in the names of the available wireless networks and some of the regulars are odd.
One thing which is somewhat disturbing are available connections which read as various printers and do not appear to be locked.
Networks like xfinity are also shown as unlocked but probably have a login page if were to click on.
Only reason to click on the three monkeys was to see what the characters were, a curiosity, like putting fruit in a jar to catch a monkey. :-k

P.S: I did find a printer link in the local folder of one of the systems which appeared similar to one of the unsecured printer links.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I'd be leery of being too curious here. Who knows what you might pick up from someone else's computer. Can you post a screenshot of the 3 monkey icons? Maybe someone else will recognize it.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

To note, I didn't copy these from another computer they showed up in the list of available networks.
Only way to copy the characters was to initiate a connection and copy from the setup panel to a text file.

U+1F648 SEE-NO-EVIL MONKEY
U+1F649 HEAR-NO-EVIL MONKEY
U+1F64A SPEAK-NO-EVIL MONKEY

In Unicode since: 6.0
Unicode category: Symbol, Other

When trying to post the character/glyphs I get this, you'll have to search in your character map, shows in most fonts as symbol:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x99\x88 -...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Thanks, I'll just take your word for this.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Was operating a newer OS for the post above.
Opened the older system where I first found the characters and opened the character map.
Same Unicode numbers and the same My Sql error occurs when trying to display.
The symbols are located in the Common Scripts under DejaVu but probably show in Common Scripts for any number of Unicode fonts.