FF & TB show connected to partitionwizard.com

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Brummelchen

Re: FF & TB show connected to partitionwizard.com

Post by Brummelchen »

oh man, i just told you - its a loop back and nothing magic, from my connections

firefox.exe (1328), 127.0.0.1, 49458, 127.0.0.1, 49459, TCP, Established,
firefox.exe (1328), 127.0.0.1, 49459, 127.0.0.1, 49458, TCP, Established,

firefox need this for is internal working with its child processes.

can we close case please before it gets too ridiculous?
therube

Post by therube »

While it may end up being "nothing", he still ought to know that he has a driver loaded, that he isn't particularly aware of. Autoruns will most likely point that out.

(And I guess that 99.9% are clueless about such things. But as "something" was brought to his attention, might as well just find out just what it is. Plus we're now in Tech, where anything goes ;-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

partition wiz dont own ampa-files. ampa is from Aomei partition assistant.
for minitool it should be: pwnative.exe, pwdrvio.sys, pwdspio.sys

for quickNdirty i use "Macrorit Disk Partition", its close to portable because it only copies "MDA_NTDRV.sys" and "ndm-fre.exe" to system. Key is put here: mde.lkeys
was a giveaway (v3.9.8/4.3.5/5.3.9)
key (1st, not 2nd) http://net-load.com/giveaway-macrorit-d ... -for-free/
demo https://macrorit.com/partition-magic-ma ... ition.html
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

kerft wrote:View your hosts file with a text editor at C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and see if it has any lines like 0 partitionwizard.com or 127.0.0.1 partitionwizard.com
If not, double check that no processes are running related to Minitool, and reboot.
I kinda forgot about that, being buried doesn't help either.

You mean entries like this? :shock:
127.0.0.1 http://www.partitionwizard.com
127.0.0.1 pas2.partitionwizard.com
127.0.0.1 pas2.minitool.com
127.0.0.1 pas2.eofsoft.com
127.0.0.1 tracking.minitool.com
Ok, why are they there and what is the "pas2" about?? BTW, the date of the file is from a year ago.
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

therube wrote:While it may end up being "nothing", he still ought to know that he has a driver loaded, that he isn't particularly aware of. Autoruns will most likely point that out.
(And I guess that 99.9% are clueless about such things. But as "something" was brought to his attention, might as well just find out just what it is. Plus we're now in Tech, where anything goes ;-).)
Thank you. I cleaned/reset the host file. I'll keep my eye on that the next time I use PW. :wink:
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
therube

Post by therube »

partition wiz dont own ampa-files. ampa is from Aomei partition assistant.
Right. (Aomei I had from some old "giveaway".)
That's where I got my names from, & why I said, "something like".
something like ampa.exe, [/windows/system32/] ampa.sys
why are they there
I'd assume because (someone) doesn't want it phoning home.

And again, I don't think the hosts file is the issue.
You have a driver loaded, maybe it (in addition to be needed for program operation) is used for checking for updates, or whatever, & your hosts file was blocking (or intending to) block it from doing so.

Like some "giveawayoftheday" program licenses are only valid for a particular program version, & if the program were to auto-update, your license would no longer be valid, so by blocking updates, your program remains valid (even if outdated).

If you check autoruns, I'd expect you'd seem something like pt*.sys or mt*.sys in the Drivers (tab) & its' publisher would be something like "Minitool"...
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

I'd assume because (someone) doesn't want it phoning home.
illegal use of minitool? there exist no other reason to block activating servers.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Those entries prevented me from connecting to MiniTools site. Also, that address doesn't show up under Network in Resource Hacker anymore.