Free Avira automatically adds cookies to Firefox

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Exoteeth

Free Avira automatically adds cookies to Firefox

Post by Exoteeth »

On two of my Windows 8.1 PC's I have noticed that when I boot up Windows and then boot Firefox, Avira has two cookies in the Manage Cookies/Site Data list. If I delete the cookie and then reload Windows the cookies return. Is there any way to block Avira from inserting these cookies? Avira setup has no options to turn this off.
LIMPET235

Re: Free Avira automatically adds cookies to Firefox

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Your question may be better asked at their forum...
> https://answers.avira.com/en/questions

Moving this to the Tech. forum, as it's not a Firefox problem.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

has avira installed an extension? if so, deactivated and cookie should be gone too.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
Exoteeth

Post by Exoteeth »

No, there is no Avira extension installed. I only have Lastpass, Stylus, and UBlock. Avira is being very cheeky inserting those cookies offline and although I don't blame Mozilla, I think they need to do something about blocking programs that do this.
Exoteeth

Post by Exoteeth »

I found this on Avira's privacy page:
How do we use cookies, analysis and tracking tools, and social media registrations?

When you use a product or service, cookies are uploaded to your browser. Cookies may be used to identify your browser so that our website is displayed correctly. We also use cookies at various points on our website to analyze the use of our website and thereby optimize it, such as the shopping cart function for orders in the Avira online store.

In addition to our own systems, we also use the following third-party tools for marketing purposes and to make your visit to our websites or the use of our products/services more user-friendly.
So that is that. It's obviously not something that can be disabled. I have noticed that the cookies are not added to Chrome. Just Firefox. (And perhaps other browsers)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

It's obviously not something that can be disabled
not within avira, but you can uninstall avira and turn to windows defender, because you use windows 8 and WD is performing very good in each comparison now.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p