Mark Deleted Option

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
kmand

Mark Deleted Option

Post by kmand »

This is just barely related to Thunderbird, apology in advance.

Thunderbird is my main email client, running against Gmail as the imap server. I have always used the "mark deleted" option in Thunderbird, which leaves a deleted message in the INBOX and just marks it as deleted.

The Gmail server tolerates this from IMAP clients with the gmail server auto expunge off setting.

I also use Android, and I have yet to find an Android IMAP client that will do "mark deleted". K-9 is willing to not move to Trash, but it won't mark it as deleted. The gmail app will always move to Trash, and it seems that what bluemail does too.

So does anyone know of an Android IMAP email client that like Thunderbird has a just mark deleted option?
DanRaisch

Re: Mark Deleted Option

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to MozillaZine Tech as this is not a Thunderbird Support question, as noted by the OP.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I found a thread from 2012 that claimed that K-9 supports that (use "Account settings > Fetching mail > When I delete a message" set to "Delete from server".). That seems to be confirmed by https://k9mail.github.io/documentation/ ... count.html . However, it states that K-9 can't be used to undelete messages that a different email client had marked deleted, so there are interoperability issues.
kmand

Post by kmand »

Actually, I was a bit mislead by the fact that in this K-9 option it both sends it to Trash and leaves it on the server marked as deleted. Thunderbird just marks and does not send it to Trash. I've been actually using K-9 for years, and having discovered all the mail in Trash got worried that deletes in K-9 were not showing up in my INBOX on Thunderbird.

Apparently, thats not the case, and there is just an extra copy in Trash.

Still interested in any other Android IMAP email client that works like Thunderbird's mark deleted, or even K-9s. K-9 is ok, but its search is pretty primitive.