Looking Up Delays (Solved, If Strangely)

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Frank Lion

Re: Looking Up Delays

Post by Frank Lion »

therube wrote:(I'm actually surprised the command works - as written [without a space separating the command & its' parameter].
That's the difference between actually trying something and just relying on theory.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

therube wrote:(I'm actually surprised the command works - as written [without a space separating the command & its' parameter].)

Check to see if FF might be using a proxy, about:preferences#general -> Network.
It was set to use the system's setting, so I changed it to none, which is what it has usually been, but I see no change
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Frank Lion wrote:
John Liebson wrote:
siffemoz wrote:In addition to rebooting the modem, try:

ipconfig/flushdns from a command prompt to flush the DNS cache

CTRL-SHIFT-DEL > clear Cache and Offline Website Data
Rebooting modem did not help.

1. That command is invalid as written.
That command is correct as written. You entered into the Command Prompt window and not the Run one?
I just again copied the command as posted, put it into Windows PowerShell (admin) and it again says that the command is not known. I assume that is where I should be trying the command, but I don't know what a Command Prompt window is, not a "Run one".

Looked up Flush DNS, which gave the command as ipconfig /flushdns (note the space); that worked, but unfortunately did not speed up accessing URLs.
Last edited by John Liebson on November 30th, 2019, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

I am also seeing delays in Thunderbird, where, for example, the text of a message will appear immediately, the images taking longer. Am I correct in assuming that this is indicative of a system problem, rather than with Fx specifically?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

dickvl wrote:Looking up is about connecting to the DNS server to get the IP, so if this takes a long time then you need to check the current DNS setting.
Did you already try to to power the router off/on ?

See also about:networking -> DNS and DNS Lookup

The language of Medieval manuscripts means more to me than the DNS and DNS Lookup entries. I looked at both and did not have any idea what they were telling me; a translation would be appreciated.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

John Liebson wrote:I just again copied the command as posted, put it into Windows PowerShell (admin) and it again says that the command is not known.
Try just pasting it into the Command Prompt window, like the guy suggested.

Start> Search Box> type in Command Prompt.

https://www.howtogeek.com/163127/how-po ... nd-prompt/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Another clue, in the perhaps forlorn hope that it will trigger someone who understands this type of problem to come up with a fix: I just went to my wife's computer, which is on the same WiFi system as mine, and where I found no delays in accessing sites such as mozillaZine. To me, that indicates that the problem is isolated to my computer, rather than, for example, being modem/router/network related.
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

therube wrote:(I'm actually surprised the command works - as written [without a space separating the command & its' parameter].)

Not sure why I omitted the space; I never do when I use it :?:
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

It may be a problem with only that PC, but it in general may be worth optimizing your DNS servers.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
John Liebson

Re: Looking Up Delays (Solved, If Strangely)

Post by John Liebson »

This is truly strange, and totally beyond my comprehension: A month or more ago, I installed Snagit 2020, but kept Snagit 2019 just to be sure that all was okay. A short while ago, I removed not only Snagit 2019, but apparently any and all delays!

For a unrelated reason, I needed to reboot after the uninstall, and for the first time in a while, there were no error messages during the logon procedure. Once that seemed to be finished, I started loading the four programs that are always loaded, starting with Word Perfect, which was much faster than it did so recently. Thunderbird loaded nearly instantly; while the time for it to load has often varied, it was good to see how quick it was, and the ten new email messages also loaded properly.

Firefox was the last of the four, it too, loading quickly, so I tried accessing eight or ten sites, including this one, every one of which was fast.

I even wonder if whatever the removal of Snagit 2019 will now allow an ISO install to see if that fixes the anomaly with Dell Support Assist that started this.
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

Here's more to try to isolate the problem to FF (or not):

At a command prompt:
nsookup yahoo.com
(That does the query using your current DNS server)

Then
nslookup yahoo.com 9.9.9.9
(That does the query using another DNS server)

Any noticeable difference in lookup time?

Now go to about:networking as dickvl suggested > click the DNS Lookup tab on the left > type yahoo.com in the Domain box > Resolve. How does the time that takes compare with the others?
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

Oh, good; hadn't seen your comment before I submitted my last one. How odd; you'd never expect a screencap program but having two versions installed is usu. not a good thing. Or was it just the reboot - was that the first time you'd rebooted since the problem began?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

siffemoz wrote:Oh, good; hadn't seen your comment before I submitted my last one. How odd; you'd never expect a screencap program but having two versions installed is usu. not a good thing. Or was it just the reboot - was that the first time you'd rebooted since the problem began?
Granted that having two versions installed might not be a good idea, but only one was run at a time, and there were no problems involved as far as I know. I am not sure if I had previously had two versions at once, or if the new one replaced the old one.

No, this was not the first reboot since the problem arose; I did not keep count, but 12 might not be very inaccurate. This was in trying to update Windows, and whatever else seemed to need whatever it might have needed.

Yesterday, I tried to update DSClock, which failed twice, so I deleted it and tried, twice, to install the new version, both of which failed. To my consternation, I noticed, after that last reboot, that the new version of DSClock was running, with my own settings in use. I am not sure that I would ever want to know how this happened; yes, I have a copy of the installer, but no, I did not click it to try to install it. It was just before I was going to do that that I saw the clock on the task bar.

One more: Now, my userID and Password show at the top left of mozillaZine, which had not happened for some unknown interval before removing Snagit 2019, but did happen after I installed Snagit 20.