Looking Up Delays (Solved, If Strangely)

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
John Liebson

Looking Up Delays (Solved, If Strangely)

Post by John Liebson »

Windows 10 Home v 1909; Fx 70.0.1 (64-bit)

Every URL request as of a short while ago starts with "Looking up", when MS Edge and Google Chrome do not have this problem. Example: When I looked up my version of Fx to post here, I counted thirty seconds as Fx looked for updates, at which time I closed the About Firefox page. This behavior is no different when I opened Fx in Safe Mode.

I did a search, using the mozillaZine search boxfor this problem, but only found entries for Fx versions long since replaced, and the waiting for the messages to appear was tiresome.

Incantations to be used, anathemas to be hurled, hexes to be applied, or other suggestions?
Last edited by John Liebson on November 30th, 2019, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Looking Up Delays

Post by DanRaisch »

Did Firefox just update on that system? What security software is running on that system?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:Did Firefox just update on that system? What security software is running on that system?
I don't know when Fx updated, but certainly not in the past week or more. More succinctly, there was no delay in accessing mozillaZine between 0500 and perhaps 1200 hours today; the delay only started sometime this afternoon.

Same security as always, SuperAntiSpyware, Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes.

Curiously, after leaving the Windows 10 forums, I got to mozillaZine instantly. When that happened, I tried another site, went to lookup. While in Windows10 Forums, at least twice it was slowed down by a lookup for cse.google.com. I have found that, once I have accessed a site, I can subsequently return to it very quickly, but don't know if, for example, I will be able to return here tomorrow without having to wait. The first two sites I tried while writing this were sites I had been at hour earlier, so it is though there it a time period during which a site has been accessed you can return to without delay, and after that period expires, you have to wait again.

When I clicked on Preview, there was a lookup for mozillazine, rather odd given that I am logged on there. Don't know what will happen with Submit, did not have a delay with that on the Windows 10 forums.

Later:

1. No delay in posting.

2. Started Fx using a test profile; same delays as here, so profile is not the cause.

3. Having closed the profile in normal use, when I returned to it (as is in use now), the sites that I could return to quickly before changing to the test profile now are back to look-ups.

4. I don't know which sites I tried with the test profile showed all sorts of odd lookups: Not just the site requested, but others as well. I've no idea what those odd sites were, as they seemed to go away quickly. To me, just bizarre goings-on.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you running both SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes as real time scanners or only on demand? Has the Comodo program updated recently, even today?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:
Are you running both SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes as real time scanners or only on demand? Has the Comodo program updated recently, even today?
Both real time, and that has never caused a single problem, at least not that I am aware of.

I had removed Comodo earlier today, trying to fix something else (which did not work); I reinstalled it, and just after my last reply here, Comodo informed of an update, the second one today, which has been installed.

Just as a reminder, the delays are only encountered with Fx; same sites that are so slow here are loaded normally with both Edge and Google Chrome.

(As soon as I selected Submit, there was a lookup for this site; at least it was relatively quick.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Looking up is about connecting to the DNS server to get the IP, so if this takes a long time then you need to check the current DNS setting.
Did you already try to to power the router off/on ?

See also about:networking -> DNS and DNS Lookup
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

In addition to rebooting the modem, try:

ipconfig/flushdns from a command prompt to flush the DNS cache

CTRL-SHIFT-DEL > clear Cache and Offline Website Data
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Both real time, and that has never caused a single problem, at least not that I am aware of.
While that statement may be valid it does not take into account the fact that all four programs AND the Windows OS are updating periodically. That means that what once worked may stop working without the user changing anything other than the versions of software in use.

You might try rebooting into Windows Safe Mode which will temporarily eliminate all of those security programs. A couple of visits to sites where you have seen the problem occur should be enough to tell you if the delays are still present in that Safe Mode environment. If so, it will point to an issue with the mix of security applications as either the cause or a contributing factor in the problem. Rebooting again to standard mode will restore security.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

John Liebson wrote:Both real time, and that has never caused a single problem, at least not that I am aware of.
That's what this guy was saying for around two pages here - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14849663
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

siffemoz wrote:In addition to rebooting the modem, try:

Rebooting modem did not help.

1. That command is invalid as written.

2. Did not make any difference
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Frank Lion wrote:
John Liebson wrote:Both real time, and that has never caused a single problem, at least not that I am aware of.
That's what this guy was saying for around two pages here - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14849663
First message in that thread said that turning off Malwarebytes fixed the problem, which is not true for me.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

John Liebson wrote:
siffemoz wrote:In addition to rebooting the modem, try:

Rebooting modem did not help.

1. That command is invalid as written.
That command is correct as written. You entered into the Command Prompt window and not the Run one?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Seeing some delays in Google Chrome this morning, with "Resolving Host" showing. (I have not yet done the suggested about:network lookup.)

Could the problem in Google Chrome be related to the delays here, where I see "Looking up zzz" every time; in other words, might this be some system problem? I know nothing about this, having never encountered it until now, and it might be connected to some Windows 10 problems that have been very frustrating.

Weird: Preview and Submit were both instantaneous, which was not true yesterday.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Off to the Tech. forum, seeing as it's also affecting the Chrome browser.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
therube

Post by therube »

(I'm actually surprised the command works - as written [without a space separating the command & its' parameter].)

Check to see if FF might be using a proxy, about:preferences#general -> Network.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript