windows defender

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
petergo

windows defender

Post by petergo »

hi there

may i kindly ask, as I could not find appropriate answer googling, does windows defender scan incoming email and attachments?

thanks
have a great weekend
peter
LIMPET235

Re: windows defender

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Peter,
It appears as though Windows Defender is just an AV program. (Detects malware, viri 'n' such.)

Does NOT scan your emails etc.,

For ref;...
>
What Is Windows Defender?

The basic idea behind Windows Defender is simple: to offer real-time protection against a variety of threats, such as adware, spyware, and viruses.
The application can help protect your computer from many of the rogue programs online and those inadvertently downloaded via email.
Check this site as well... > https://www.thewindowsclub.com/is-windo ... windows-10

Sounds like you need something like Mailwasher Pro.
They do have a free, one Account, version.
> https://www.mailwasher.net/
Pro > https://www.firetrust.com/

They offer a yearly or lifetime license.

Moving to the Tech. forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
petergo

Post by petergo »

g'day Mr.L

Howzitgoin' m8?
Pray and hope you and loved ones keeping safe and well with this pesky virus thingy.
Here, we have 2 hours, Tuesday and Thursday to go utside, just for shopping, it's aaarrrggghhhhh

mailwasher, sorry, I didnt like it, and it appears it's more an antispam programme than a virus protector.

I guess I'll just have to continue not opening emails I dont know whom from, or any attachments unless I save them, then scan them

cheers
P
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Peter,
Well, I could suggest that you try either AVG free or AVAST free, but they are both owned by AVAST now & are most probably
similar in performance & nag screens.
At least they both have decent Support Fora.

What AV program do you run?

It's not a good idea to D/L any email before scanning it.

As for MWP...I've never had any kind of crap on my P/C, but I do run AVAST free version.

Why not take a look at majorgeeks.com & see what is available for email scanning?
I did a quick search there but a lot of programs were "shared" with their nag screens or required a lot of $$'s.

Stay safe.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

petergo

Post by petergo »

Mr.L

thanks as always for your advice and suggestions.

1.. I use Windows defender, Malwarebytes antimalware, and Zemana. I use them manually to scan anything I may download

2.. Thunderbird, I don't downlaod anything per se, just what comes through automatically, from the server ISP or gmail ( I am ignorant on this stuff)

3.. I used to use AVG and then Avast, and had problems with them and TB, and the panel of experts at Mozilla, said not to use them, in essence.

4.. I know what Microsoft say about WD, but it does not say anywhere I could find, specifically it scans emails that come into TB

5.. are the freeware versions of either AVG or Avast, completely compatible with TB now

6.. do they run in real time, all the time?

thanks Mr.L
stay well, m8
peter
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Peter,
Thank you for answering the Q's.

1/. WD & MWB I know of but after checking on Zemana, I think it's mainly for malware.
The various "Review sites" offer confusing results. Some say it's also an Anti-virus etc., detector but not sure.
Plus...it ain't free.
As for MWB...is this the free version or did you pay for it? If the paid version, then you may have the occasional conflict by running 2 programs that do the same/similar things.

2/. As long as you do NOT D/L the emails directly into Thunderbird & just use your ISP or gmail first, you should be O.K., as they have very good filters for "crap."

3/. Using either AVG or AVAST with Thunderbird should not cause any problems.
I haven't had any for yonks. They both have live email scanners.

4/. AFAICF...WD does NOT scan your emails. (Can be corrected on this.)

5/. See ^^ #3/. (If you have any problems, their Support fora are very quick & reliable with their help.

6/. Yes. Both run in real time. (In the back ground & also auto update their prefs & the program.)
Be aware of the pop ups from both as they try to entice you to buy other products &/or features that you really do not need.
They're a damn AV program & not "out-of-date" program checker or Password storer.

Stay safe.

petergo

Post by petergo »

thanks Mr.L

I have installed avast free version.
I will keep it for a while,although I am miffed at it already!
The first scan showed that hundreds of my personal data files are vulnerable ( to something), and avast wants todo something. I dont know what it will do, so I have elected to skip that.
I dislike it so much when they offer, eg., a VPN, I go through the process, and at the ened its a 7 day trial or pay for it!

I am a wee bit confused about downloading emails, what you may mean.
I use TB as my reader, and i checked the incoming and outgoing servers, and they are gmail
Funny, I thought it was my ISP, how dumb am i <smiles>
Anyhows, I dont do anything, and TB receives the emails automatically, is that what you mean by downlaoding, m8 ?

I'll do some more research on WD and if it checks for incoming emails

have a good one, and thnx again
peter
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Peter,
Do NOT take any notice of those damn pop ups. Proper PITB. Just kill the darn things.

Don't know about the so called "Free VPN" they offer, so why not ask at their forum?

If you only use gmail & it opens in Thunderbird, (it does download the messages, other wise you wouldn't see them), you should be fine.
ref; above, ^^ post.

Stay safe.

petergo

Post by petergo »

g'day again
Thanks Mr.L
Been chatting with MSFT tech, and they assure me that WD does in fact scan all emails and attachments in real time.
Quite impressed with them, fast, and efficient

BUT,I think i will continue to err on the side of caution,and not open attachments, unless I save them first, and scan them mnanually

BTW, do I need to start a new topic or can I ask here, I have one friend who sends me a dozen emails a day,funnies etc, and I have a gazillion times marked them as junk, but they never go in the junk folder

cheers
peter
petergo

Post by petergo »

uninstalling avast free
Too many pop ups etc
Using avastclear.exe following revo uninstall

thnks
cheers
peter
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Peter,
No probs re; AVAST.
If it don't suit your needs or gets too "noisy" then it's best removed.
Just be sure to restart the M/C.

As for your Q? re; messages not being marked as Junk, best to start a new topic on it.
Seems a few have had the same problem, so try a search of the forum.