Wireless connect - Linux (Resolved)

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Grumpus

Wireless connect - Linux (Resolved)

Post by Grumpus »

This is more of an opinion request.
There is an RTL 8821ce which came with a small laptop.
As recently as the past couple of months Realtech released a Linux driver.
With an initial OS install the system report noted the driver was available for this unit..
Having initially allowed the the driver install it was noted the occasional drop in ervice.
Searching on the net it appears this device is somewhat suspect though HP keeps putting it in laptops.

Right now I have an auxiliary method of wireless connect which has been OK, not as fast but it does the job, plugged into the mini usb port with a jumper. It provides fairly steady service.
Any comment would be welcome as this is a new installation, having removed the previous one, and the offer of the new driver for the Realtech device is showing again and available.
Last edited by Grumpus on May 8th, 2020, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Wireless connect - Linux

Post by malliz »

Could be something as simple as the location of the device in the laptop mate. Wifi is a whole kettle of fish just waiting to stink. We have a big two story brick house so when we moved in I bought the absolute best router I could because I knew I needed the punch to get into all the rooms so much so that you can get a signal right out in the yard. Brick walls certain types of insulation et'c can block signals. If the external dongle works better than it probably is the poor quality internal chip
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Grumps,
I'm not sure of your problem but it sounds like your WiFi is not getting to where you want it.
So, have you heard of the "Mesh Systems?"

They are powered (Plugged into the mains), extenders that you place in various spots around your premises.

Supposed to be very good, as they have a "back channel" they talk to each other on & do not use or slow down your WiFi signal.

Good luck.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@malliz and Limpet235 - Thanks for comment, was looking for some general comment on the RTL 8821ce.
Having read comments on it searching in Google, most seemed less than positive with some blaming connection drops and break issues on the device.
There's no problem with making a connection with the laptop without it but current dongle is an extra piece of stuff which has to be carried in the bag and plugged in to make a connection.
If I enable the driver for the internal unit supplied with the laptop,RTL 8821ce , it's less stuff to plug in to use it.
I'm probably just looking for a little simplicity. The laptop has specific ports and only 2 full size usb and one mini.
I actually have a 4 port usb extender but the idea is to not go around like a cat caught up in a ball of yarn.

As to mesh devices I've been advised by several folks the things you plug in around the house, unless you live fifty miles from anyone can be compromised easily.
I've got the service's modem about four feet from the computer and there's still some interference in the area due to ham connections and other mesh setups both commercial and private.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Grumpus

Re: Wireless connect - Linux (Resolved)

Post by Grumpus »

Decided to leave it dormant for the time being.
Most remarks lean towards a dump of the device with a kernel update.
Thanks all. :-k