OS recovery and saved files.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
bgreenage

OS recovery and saved files.

Post by bgreenage »

I did the Dell Support Assist OS recovery. There is an option to save files to an external HDD/Flash Drive before the restore starts and all files are wiped. So I did that. 214 GB of data. It's on a flash drive. Now how do I restore the files back to the PC? It's labeled 2021-07-09_13.10.26. Here is an example of what the file looks like on the Flash Drive. Archive.z01.They go from z01 to z211. File type Z01 file. Size 1,000,576. All the files have the same size. At the end there is a zip file labeled archive. Size 381,025kb. And below that there is a file named backup history XML document 12,428 kb. How do I get these files off the drive onto the PC?
DanRaisch

Re: OS recovery and saved files.

Post by DanRaisch »

You should be able to open that XML file with a browser to see if it contains instructions for restoring the data. You can also try to extract files from the Archive.z0N files using WinZip or another Unzip program. If not, you might have to reach out to Dell to ask them how that OS recovery utility is supposed to be used to restore the archived data.
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

The XML file is a listing of of all files that have been compressed. There are no instructions on how to open the files. I did d/l win zip. When I try to unzip one of the files It gives me the error message must be a zip file. And the files are all .z files. I did reach out to Dell and am waiting for them to get back to me. This is so frustrating. The PC works great. Much faster than it was before.I'm at a loss as to what to do next.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

My suggestion? Just wait patiently (or not so patiently) for Dell's response.
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

Dell's response to say that my PC is out of warranty and to have any support I would have to call and get an estimate on the repairs. In the meantime I found 7-zip which did open the files. There appears to be multiple copies of the same thing. Since all I really want are my pictures, documents etc can I safely ignore the rest?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Only you can answer that as we have no way to know what else is in those files.