Alternative browser

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
therube

Re: Alternative browser

Post by therube »

As much as I dislike it, FF.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Thanks, everyone for the persuasive facts and opinions. I had not expected to be swayed toward Firefox...at least thus far.

Hopefully, it will never become necessary.

Long live SeaMonkey!!!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

therube wrote:As much as I dislike it, FF.
therube,

FF and not WaterFox? Inquiring minds as I manage SeaMonkey through XUL extensions: Open in Chrome opens with Firefox, View this page in IE opens with Edge Dev, Open With opens with WaterFox.... Used to use Iron or Vivaldi, but no need as Edge Dev is as good as any of them and is far better than Google's Chrome.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

I have avoided FF since the first days and will continue to do so.

I have Brave, Vivaldi and Opera installed and use each for different sites as needed. Vivaldi seems to be the better of the three so far. All three of them seem to hog resources though and I can't keep any of them running full time along with SM. That said, I'm using a 10 year old laptop with Win 7 and 8Gb ram, so ....
therube

Post by therube »

I dabbled with Waterfox some time back (when it was still Legacy only).

I don't recall any compelling reason to use it (much less their Quantum [Proton ?] version).

FF is still more configurable (more easily configurable) then any Chrome browser.
And I can still, mostly, determine (as in I have the say in) what FF is able to do, compared to Chrome - where I'd be at a far greater loss.

Some spout that Chrome is "faster" on particular websites (like facebook or whatever), but I don't facebook, so that matters not to me. ("Speed" is never an overriding concern to me. Functionality & UI is far more important.)

(I haven't really looked at "other" browsers in well over a year now. [No Internet at home.])

If I need to visit a site where SeaMonkey doesn't work well (or at all), I'll open FF.
NoScript is still there. uBlock is still there. There was a decent downloader - not signed, so relegated to "nightly" (& no idea if it is still viable today?).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Curious...is there an article or message somewhere that lays out how one MIGHT transition from SeaMonkey to FireFox if one were so inclined?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

therube wrote:I dabbled with Waterfox some time back (when it was still Legacy only).

I don't recall any compelling reason to use it (much less their Quantum [Proton ?] version).

FF is still more configurable (more easily configurable) then any Chrome browser.
And I can still, mostly, determine (as in I have the say in) what FF is able to do, compared to Chrome - where I'd be at a far greater loss.

Some spout that Chrome is "faster" on particular websites (like facebook or whatever), but I don't facebook, so that matters not to me. ("Speed" is never an overriding concern to me. Functionality & UI is far more important.)

(I haven't really looked at "other" browsers in well over a year now. [No Internet at home.])

If I need to visit a site where SeaMonkey doesn't work well (or at all), I'll open FF.
NoScript is still there. uBlock is still there. There was a decent downloader - not signed, so relegated to "nightly" (& no idea if it is still viable today?).
therube,

As I have 3 XUL browser extension icons on my toolbar, I need to have them working with 3 browsers! <g> That is how Waterfox got into the mix!

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
NWKnight77

Post by NWKnight77 »

Blech. I would never use Firefox. They try to be too much like Chrome.
v_v

Post by v_v »

Peter,

I know of no article "that lays out how one MIGHT transition from SeaMonkey to FireFox". What do you mean by "transition?"

The basics are fairly simple: 1. you will need to install the Firefox browser on your computer; 2. if you wish to import your bookmarks from SeaMonkey then (as I wrote in my post for September 27th, 2021, 5:34 am) you will need to export said bookmarks from SeaMonkey as an "html" file, and follow that up by importing that file when you run Firefox. In Firefox using the menu bar at the top you will find Bookmarks, then Manage Bookmarks, and finally Import and Backup. That is all that there is to it. As far as I know the bookmarks are the only thing that are transferable going from SeaMonkey to Firefox.

Beyond that you would also want to go to Tools then Settings, and set the browser up however you like.

If you need to add extensions you will go to Tools then Add-ons and Themes.

Then use the browser!

That is all that there is to it. Basically these steps will be the same no matter which browser you choose.

(Humorously, you might be over-thinking all of this. I would say just install whichever browsers that you might wish to try, see how they work for you, and then decide whether you want to keep it or not! If not, uninstall it. All of these things can be done fairly quickly!)

v_v
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Thanks for that. Is there any way to import the email accounts from SM into FF?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Peter Creasey wrote:Thanks for that. Is there any way to import the email accounts from SM into FF?
Firefox is a browser only - there is no e-mail client.

Years ago Mozilla Suite was cut into separate browser (Firefox) and separate e-mail client (Thunderbird).

SeaMonkey is continuation of Mozilla Suite (all-in-one) but made by community, not Mozilla Corporation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeaMonkey
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Oops, of course. I wasn't thinking straight when I referred to FF and email.

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
v_v

Post by v_v »

Peter wrote: "Oops, of course. I wasn't thinking straight when I referred to FF and email."

v_v previously wrote: "(Humorously, you might be over-thinking all of this. I would say just install whichever browsers that you might wish to try, see how they work for you, and then decide whether you want to keep it or not! If not, uninstall it. All of these things can be done fairly quickly!)"

(Smile)

Peter, why not just install the browser(s) that you wish to try and investigate them directly? The time it would take to do this would most likely be less than the time that it takes for you to think about and post questions here!
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I'm looking forward to ideally sticking with SeaMonkey; otherwise, just exploring the options.

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
v_v

Post by v_v »

Well yes, but my suggestion was simply to explore the different browser options directly instead of a constant "pre-thinking" and perhaps "over-thinking" of the many possibilities. It might save you time and concern! (Smile)