Using Windows XP Home? Not for Much Longer.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Trusted Computing isn't a "huge pile of nothing". Though it probably won't amount to much in the end, it is something the industry leaders seriously thought they could push through. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but I will continue to express my objections to it anytime the subject comes up.

As for ending support for XP Home, that would really give a boost to Microsoft's competition. I suspect they'll think better of it, but if they don't, Linux is sounding better all the time...
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 125.0.2, Developer Edition 126.0b4, Nightly 127.0a1.
Jeff_pony

Post by Jeff_pony »

Uncle Spellbinder wrote:I wanted to believe Thumper's assertion that this was all bogus. Looks like it's true. I wish I could afford a Mac or a truly "user friendly" Linux distro was available. :cry:

OS updates support ends on Mac OS even quicker than it does for a windows user.
Please PM the mod team when you see a rule infraction
Life State:: McLovin it
Camino v2.1 (pre)
yamal

Post by yamal »

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/ ... 10&p1=3221

Thats 7/8 years support, while Apple makes you buy an OS-upgrade every 18 months or so.
wget

Post by wget »

yamal wrote:Thats 7/8 years support, while Apple makes you buy an OS-upgrade every 18 months or so.

There really aren't many Linux distros with that kind of support either. Come to think of it, I can't name a single one.
To the cast and crew of Arrested Development: Thanks for the many great laughs.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Yeah, but at least they're free, I suppose.
old Ol Grumpy

Post by old Ol Grumpy »

I don't think the term is as important as the reasons for the term. My concern is while some distros may want to keep up with hardware and other software changes they may become overloaded trying to accomodate all the previous hardware and software which isn't defunct yet. I screamed murder after spend huge sums of money on hardware and software only to have it all made useless after about 6 months. Personnally I'd like to see a schism of sorts where the gamers went somewhere else, the movie folks went somewhere else and less of an entertainment media format was considered. This need to have computers as the quantum center of human existance is like trying to cram 5 pounds of crap in a one pound bag and believing you'll get it home without getting any on you.

Things like listening to music are not the things I'm referring to, it's the feature film on the desktop, while an amusing bauble in a small screen in the corner, defeating of the art form as it diminishes the real escapist mechanics a movie is meant to provide. Multiple focus/tasking leads to mistakes and errors and a lack of retention of the information either what was being worked on or the jist of the movie.

Games???? sure you want to play something during a long process or want to have the power of the computer to play, that's focused but maybe there should be a games based world seperate from computers, wait there is, but the key players are so screwy trying to monopolize the games consoles nothing becomes a standard or is workable with the other, also on a lunatic replacement console timeline, which is what drives the computer gamers, which drives the power needs and hardware advances. Which is detrimental to the basic computer user who is subjected to the hardware and software upgrades the gamers want or need. I just can't imagine needing a game, sorry?

It's a lunatic rat race which needs some simplification and some clarity, which may be what the "Trusted Computing" designers were interested in but more than likely it was more market footprint and control.
Unless it was inteneded the machines would be permitted to run open source or just about anyone's software additionally, which gets back to why, since that's what most folks have as it is.

....be patient it's a full moon and the side of my head always extends outwards in the shape of a large turnip.
bollix47
Folder@Home

Post by bollix47 »

According to this SP3 for Windows Home is planned for the second half of 2007. If true then support should last at least for a year after that.

Note that the above page was updated December 2005.