Installing Windows 2000

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

MeCasa, good to hear from you...

Thanks for the info, lemme check out your advice, and I'll post back..

M-
FF 2.0, TB 2.0, Window$ 2k Pro
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

MeCasa wrote:

As for what software starts at bootup. Start > Run > Regedit > Enter > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Delete the key of any software you don't want to start with Windows, I only start Default, Firewall and AV

That path leads to "optional components" (IMAIL, MAPI, and MSFS)...should I look into them?
MeCasa
Folder@Home

Post by MeCasa »

No, don't mess with them, actually click 'on' run, when run is blue, the bootup keys will be in the large window.

I probably shouldn't have sent you in there as you can do a lot of serious damage in a short time :shock: ..... but if you click on run, the bootup list will be in the window, .......there should be very little in there now as you just set 2K up, but as you add software you come here and see if they added a key to put them in the boot list, just delete anything added that doesn't need to start at bootup
Sex is dirty only if it's done right .... Live and Let Live .... Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
...................................................... MeCasaEsSuCasa ................................................
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

MeCasa wrote:No, don't mess with them, actually click 'on' run, when run is blue, the bootup keys will be in the large window.

I probably shouldn't have sent you in there as you can do a lot of serious damage in a short time :shock: ..... but if you click on run, the bootup list will be in the window, .......there should be very little in there now as you just set 2K up, but as you add software you come here and see if they added a key to put them in the boot list, just delete anything added that doesn't need to start at bootup

Don't worry...I don't mess with registry keys w/out being totally sure I know what I'm doing, and w/out knowing how to reverse actions I've done to the registry...In case of error...Onlt 2 entries there, let's leave it alone...

Looking at the link you provided for the "services" tab...That site references XP, but (generally) applies to
2K, correct?

Thanks MeCasa
MeCasa
Folder@Home

Post by MeCasa »

Pretty much the same OS, Here's another tweak site

Glad you like 2000, the search options are one of the most noticable gains

Lotsa luck
Sex is dirty only if it's done right .... Live and Let Live .... Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
...................................................... MeCasaEsSuCasa ................................................
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

Thanks buddy, talk to ya later...I'll post back

M-
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

Hello to all,
I used the tweaks from the link MeCasa provided (http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm), and freed up about 24MB of RAM!...Cool....

M-
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Whatever happened to MonkeyMan?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

I wish I knew....
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

...because I had a wonderful time learning from MM.....I STILL use Win2kPro on my home PC...This thread was quite an adventure for me, and I think it was interesting for others, as well...MeCasa, and others, thanks so much again for your input.. It's fun to read back over the adventure it was....MM disappeared from this thread, for what ever reason, but I'm forever grateful for his help...

M-
Frank Lion

Re:

Post by Frank Lion »

Frank Lion wrote:Whatever happened to MonkeyMan?
That guy never did come back.

Classic thread this one, here's the backstory - OP was a novice user who, on another thread before this one, was wailing about installing Win2000. MonkeyMan (serious guy with a really silly avatar) came up with the dubious idea of helping him to install it live on this thread.

If you've ever helped a novice relative on Email or the phone with even a simple PC problem then you'll know what a bizarre idea that was, as it'll go on forever and ever.

So, this thread then started and in those days, this was a busy place. Many of us were reading this live and making bets on what page MonkeyMan's head would explode, like a ripe watermelon, and never be seen again. It happened on Page 28 and the OP spent the rest of the thread very twitchy and defensive as he knew, or thought, it was his fault.

It was actually MonkeyMan's own fault and I did warn him before he started against this idea, but no one ever listens to me. The guy left the thread and was never seen again from that day to this... so, when you have a few minutes to spare, I suggest you dip in and out of this thread. It certainly is a lesson in how not to do PC support!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)