Installing Windows 2000

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Okay, I'm back. This is the hardest part but not too bad. Open C:\Windows\Application Data. You will see a folder Named Mozilla and a folder named Thunderbird. We will start with the Mozilla one first. Open the Mozilla folder and dig down to your profile. You will know when you are there because you will see a folder called chrome and a file called Bookmarks.html amongst others.

Copy the following files into D:\Win2K Backup\Firefox

bookmarks.html
key3.db
signons.txt

This is not a complete backup and you will have to reinstall your extensions and theme. What you will have is your bookmarks and passwords and no surprises later. Don't you hate it when they go make you work for a living?
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

Done...yes, manual labor is no fun...I'm gonna jot down my extensions real quick, so I can remember 'em all later
FF 2.0, TB 2.0, Window$ 2k Pro
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

Ready when you are..
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Good Idea. Next, we will deal with the C:\Windows\Application Data\Thunderbird folder. Mail is critical so we aren't going to mess around. Copy the C:\Windows\Application Data\Thunderbird folder into D:\Win2k Backup\Thunderbird so you have D:\Win2K Backup\Thunderbird\Thunderbird

We want to make damn sure that your mail is intact. We can deal with it after Thunderbird is installed on Windows 2000.
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

I'm at c\windows\appl data\T-bird\Profiles...there'e 3 entries..mine, my wife's, and a default...just an FYI...won't do anything 'til I hear from you
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

Scratch that last reply...am following your directions
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

OK, I hope I did it right...In D:\Win2K Backup\Thunderbird\Thunderbird there are 3 entries:

Profiles (folder)
profiles.ini
registry.dat

Is this correct?
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Open D:\Win2K Backup\Thunderbird\Thunderbird\Profiles and just confirm that yours, your wifes and the default profiles are there.
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

Yep, they're there...:)
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

We are finished backing up. :banana:

Now, just a little more prep. Make sure you have written down the email user name and password for yourself and your wife and copy down the incoming and outgoing server names. The server names are found in Thunderbird Tools\Account Settings in the Server Settings and Outgoing Server (SMTP) sections. If you have forgotten the paswords you can get them from Tools\Options\Privacy tab\Passwords tab\View Saved Passwords button\Show passwords button.
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

Got it...
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

There. Not so bad, eh? Now we know everything is safe and sound. Now to get some software all in one place. You are using Thunderbird 1.5.0.4 and I assume you are using the same version of Firefox. Do you still have the setup files, possibly in My Documents?
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

Not bad at all...thanks to you...damn, I don't see the setup files
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Okay, you'll want to download those and dig out your Firewall/Anti-virus disc so it is handy. Just dump the setup files into D:\
slaphppy7

Post by slaphppy7 »

The setup files for FF and TB, correct?...Just download 'em to Desktop?..Don't have a disc for AVG, everything was done thru e-mail...